Friday, July 13, 2012

color inspiration

Taking a break from the endless task of ironing/sorting, I went to Whole Foods this afternoon because I was (horrors!) out of coffee. What could be worse?? .  They had raspberries 2/$5 so I picked up two boxes - among other necessities, including the coffee and goat cheese mozzarella. (well, the last item might become a necessity if it is good).  Then I decided I should go to the little farmer's market that sets up every summer Friday in the parking lot at the public library.  

I resisted the fresh corn, the early tomatoes (everything is early this year because of the long, hot spring) and instead of purple string beans, two shades of purple eggplant, yellow cauliflower with blue-green leaves, yellow-green garlic and the last little cardboard box of raspberries.  Don't they all look lovely together? When I go back to sorting fabric I shall see what I can find...

 Look at the size difference between the local raspberries and the Driscoll ones from the supermarket.
 The little ones look much friendlier - I think I will make some crème fraîche or vanilla frozen yogurt to go with them.
 
 Off to the kitchen!  Tomorrow I have a family wedding, so it will be a busy and lovely weekend. Wishing you the same.

4 comments:

Martha Ginn said...

How could you resist the fresh corn??? It has been so good here in Mississippi for about a month; never got below 30 cents an ear, but simply delicious on the cob. Yellow cauliflower--that's a new one to me--too pretty to eat! The eggplant looks great. Enjoy the weekend wedding.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I have noticed a number of produce items this year that seem larger than normal... I like tomatoes on the vine, but this year's crop almost looks hot-house big! Can't wait for my cherry tomatoes to ripen... and I've never seen yellow cauliflower before!

Rayna said...

There is purple cauliflower, too. 30 cents an ear????? Fresh corn at the farm stands here is 65 -75 cents an ear, although supermarket corn is less.

Rayna said...

I've got patio tomatoes in a pot on my deck and they are starting to ripen, but I just don't think tomatoes taste the way they used to. Jersey tomatoes were the best but I'm not optimistic. We'll see.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...