Tuesday, December 02, 2014

where have I been?

Mostly at home.  Thanksgiving was particularly lovely this year. I spent most of the day organizing the cabinet above my desk in the kitchen. This was a result of my starting to reorganize and clear out my sewing room.  Some things simply needed to be moved to the kitchen cabinet but I had to clear those out first.  Ya know what i mean?  One thing leads to another and my shredder got a good workout.

Thanksgiving night, my daughter Hilary and I went out for drinks and dinner.  A relaxing holiday, I must admit. No cooking, no cleanup, no dishes. Ahhh....

I have spent the rest of the week (including the weekend) clearing the clutter (have a long way to go), filling trash bags galore, and getting rid of STUFF.  This includes books I no longer need/want/have room for.  And I have uncovered a stash of small (i.e. journal) quilts I have to put aside and decide what to do with. 

The difficult part is making the small decisions - but that's an old story.  And I still have all those family photos to go through.  Here's one for you: I not only have my own wedding album from my first marriage, but now, my mother's duplicate plus all the proofs, and my grandmother's version. ARGH. These have to go downstairs in the lower level, but not till I clear THAT out. And on and on.  This is what I have been doing for a week - and I still have not touched the fabric in this room.  No pictures till I am done.

Today I went into NY and met Usha for lunch.  I bundled up - hoodie, coat, scarf, and furry clogs, and was amused to see that one of the commuters in George Segal's iconic sculpture in the Port Authority Terminal had decided she needed a head-warmer.

The Port Authority has already started getting dressed for the holidays.

Usha and I had a wonderful South Indian lunch at Madras Mahal on Lexington Avenue and had a chance to catch up -- but it was much too short a visit. She headed to Chinatown to stock up on ginger and I headed to the bus, hoping to avoid rush hour. Nope. Rain and traffic doubled the trip from ½ hour to an hour to the mall where I had parked my car.
I was happy to get home and have decided to leave the continued clearing till tomorrow.

In the meantime:
I have packed up the Quilt National catalogs from 1993, 95,97, and 99, a Visions '98 catalog, and another book and am ready to send them off, book rate, to a good home. If you want them, leave a comment and I'll let the random number generator pick the new owner by Friday morning, Dec. 6.

9 comments:

Wil said...

Love the ear warmer :-). Please include me in the drawing.

Sandy in CA said...

I would love to have those catalogs!

patty a. said...

A couple of weeks ago I had to empty my garage so I could have the foundation repaired and a new floor poured. I have a extra deep two car garage and it had a lot of stuff in it. I decided to be brutal and came up with a pick up truck load of stuff that went to the Habitat resale store. There was still a lot of stuff to find a temporary home for though. The garage is ready to be used again and I will try to find more stuff to donate. I plan on moving again in the next 3 to 4 years and I am not moving any more stuff than I have to. Wedding pictures - I threw away the big album, but for some reason (I don't know why) I have hung on to a small one. I find it is easier to get rid of stuff when I am very tired and in a bad mood so I guess that is when it will be tossed!

Claire said...

Sure, I'd love to have them. If you're teaching at Sisters next summer, you could bring them with instead of shipping them (if I win, that is)

judi said...

Would love to look through those books the next time we get dumped with 6ft of snow! lol! Something to do when trapped in house for 5 days. ;)

Lisa said...

I love the ear muffs! ha! Hope you had a good thanksgiving!

tropicslady said...

Ahhh, Quilt National. Would love to be there in person one day.

I too have been tossing/donating/trashing stuff from the home I have been living in for 25 years. Seems like we have gotten rid of enough stuff that would fill an entire room, but it sure doesn't look like it!! LOL

SuzK said...

I'll be interested as well in the catalogs Rayna. Thank you!

Debbie said...

Hi Rayna,
I would love to own those catalogs. Thanks for the opportunity.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...