Friday, April 15, 2005

low tech

my-steamer Originally uploaded by raynag.
I am waiting for the fabric I took out of this very fancy piece of equipment to go through the wash. While technically, you don't need to steam MX dyes on cotton, I do it anyway after I have written or screened with thickened dyes because i swear it makes a difference. Also, I love the smell of the steaming newspaper. Ok, so I'm nuts. I added some more text and writing to yesterday's fabric...which may or may not go into the breast cancer piece I am making. As soon as it is out of the wash and I've ironed it, I'll take a picture. adjust-o-matic-detail Meantime, I have this wonderful Adjust-o-matic sitting around. My sister-in-law is the yard sale queen and always keeps me in mind when she sees something. She brought me a nice wooden tjap she found, and about a year ago she brought me this wonderful Adjust-o-matic item. It has been sitting here because I can't decide what to do with it. I can't throw it out, it's too flimsy for display, so I have to make it into a piece of art. But what???adjust-o-matic Well, I've drifted from the steamer topic but I will come back to it in the next post.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm interested in hearing what sort of difference you think it makes to steam the fabrics. Could you explain? Thanks,
Lisa

Rayna said...

I steam my silk scarves and my cotton fabric after I have used thickened dyes on them. I swear the dye remains more vivid and has less wash out than if you just wash it out without steaming. Mind you, it is not strictly necessary --but I do it anyway.

Sonji Hunt said...

I love the adjust-o-matic dressform. I am crazy for dressforms!

PaMdora said...

I saw something like your adjustomatic at a flea market once and couldn't decide whether to buy it. When I went back later, it was gone, and I have always regretted it!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...