Monday, November 01, 2010

deadlines, deadlines, deadlines

I'm determined not to go to bed till I get this sleeve sewn on.  I have to deliver a load of work Tuesday morning for an exhibit that opens Thursday night.  This is a spare, in case the curator has extra room and decides she wants to hang it.  It does fit the theme of the exhibit, which is The Print Matrix: Revealing the Layers, but it was not finished when she first saw it.  So I finished it and will take it with me on Tuesday, just in case. 

I ran out of fabric so grabbed some other graffiti-ish stuff I had lying around.  These days, I always make my sleeves in two segments because so many galleries have the Walker hanging system and I am tired of cutting holes in my sleeves to fit the hooks.  Hence, the space in the middle.  This particular venue does not have the Walker but now I'm ready for every eventuality.

On another subject, last night we went out to dinner with friends. It was the first time we had been out to dinner in about two months: a big change for us..and probably has contributed to my losing some weight. The food was outstanding, albeit not quite what we expected when we ordered the whole red snapper - LOL.  This fellow does not look particularly cheerful, but neither would I in his situation.

It's soup weather, so I got busy late this morning.  Don't ask me what kind of soup; it's SOUP. You know -- 
6 cups of water, a bone, can of tomatoes, onions, celery, garlic, cannellini beans, lentils, a hunk of parmesean cheese, salt, bay leaf, fennel seeds, oregano, thyme, and basil - both fresh and dried. 

I don't measure, except for the water.  I throw everything into the pressure cooker I have had since 1963 and after 20 minutes, it's soup.  Stone soup?  It's never the same twice - but this particular batch is better than usual. Don't you love the basil leaves? I'd consider a career as a food stylist if I weren't so sloppy.

Enough of a break.  Back to stitching.  Now that it is after 2:am, I have my second wind.  Oh, dear.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Love what you are doing! Sleep well when you finally get there!

hugz

Nina Marie said...

Congrats on the loss of weight! I was up late last night too since I told myself that I would not go to bed without finishing the hand applique goal I set out. . . I did it but I'm tired too!!! Still goals are good!!!

Eva said...

The glance the snapper gave me makes me more determined not to eat what can look at me.
A small piece from an ox leg cannot.

Gerrie said...

You mean I have to stop eating out to lose weight? That is no fun. I hope you post some photos of the show.

Unknown said...

Good tip for making a sleeve!
that soup looks yummy. Do get some rest!!!!

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

I'd love to see a full shot of the piece you are adding the sleeve to. The fabric looks fab!

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Me again! I did not recognize what you were speaking about in reference to the Walker hanging system so I just looked it up. Indeed, during the last year I was in a small show that used the type system. It was not good! I have several things in frames I don't think they ever hung straight. In addition, the device is just too visible. Very distracting. I hope people making the decisions in regards to what type walls they will have to display art will choose something more traditional and more visually appealing. I do thank you for mentioning this product as I had no idea it was a Trend.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...