Monday, March 28, 2005

Name the baby


Name the baby
Originally uploaded by raynag.
How much trouble do you have naming your quilts? And how do you finally pick a moniker? Invariably, I finish a piece and it sits nameless for quite a while till something appropriate comes to mind. Often, not MY mind. My crit group frequently suggests names for each others' pieces, but the name has to spark a "YES!!!" in the owner's mind -- and it doesn't always. Ho hum.
My friend Helene named one of my favorite quilts Cacophony. I was thinking Babel but her name was just perfect.

When my son was born, I didn't have a name for him and I went back and forth for DAYS until hospital authorities threatened to choose his name for the birth certificate. Since the hospital was St. Barnabas, the odds for a name I liked were not high. I finally picked one.

So, you've probably guessed that I'm looking for ideas. If this quilt were your baby, what would you name it?
Comments, please!!!

8 comments:

FunkyC said...

'Typographic' ??

I'd need to know more about the piece and it's inspirations.

Elle said...

For some reason the imagery (typewriter, handwriting, typed text) reminds me of a case of writer's block I once had, so I'm suggesting: "Staring at a Blank Page"

Elle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cathy Kleeman said...

How about "Random Notes" - like your description.

Cathy

PaMdora said...

Bingo -- don't know why I thought of that...

Gerrie said...

Ditto - I was going to post the same thing. Great minds...

Jen said...

Writer's Blocks. Jen

Rayna said...

Such creative names, guys. And very interesting how you all came up with different things. I'm still sewing the facing on - not finished yet. Thanks!!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...