Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday stuff

Don't ask. This afternoon, I steamed some fabric I was playing with yesterday. The picture doesn't do it justice; this really looks a lot better in person. Honestly. I also did a little work on the new website for Franklin Street Studios - our group of seven artists in the old J&J factory in East Orange. So far, it's just one page - but the postcard and directions for our open studio tour is there - so come and visit us on April 29. And it has links to all the artists. But the best and most worthwhile thing I did today was go to the opening of a terrific exhibit called High Fiber Content. It was at the ARts Guild of Rahway,NJ and the guest curator was Jappie King Black, chair of the Fibers Dep't at Kean University. I realized, as I walked around and looked at the fabulous weavings, mixed media, and paper, that I was actually happy not to see a single quilt. I think I have become jaded and it was refreshing to be reminded that fiber is a diverse and wonderful category that includes so much more than quilts. Of course, I didn't take my camera, but the opening was packed. And I have to say that this was the best fiber exhibit I have seen in a long time. So, if you are within driving distance of Rahway, NJ (exit 135 on the Garden State) - make it your business to go see this terrific exhibit. It's up till April 20. For directions and hours, http://www.rahwayartsguild.org .

2 comments:

Emmie said...

I love the new piece. Iwant to stir in it or eat it!

Joanie San Chirico said...

Rayna, the Franklin Street Studio site looks terrific!!

I've moved my blog

Follow me over to     https://rgillman.wixsite.com/studio78/blog  , subscribe to get the updated posts, and please leave me a comment (a...