Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday stuff

Don't ask. This afternoon, I steamed some fabric I was playing with yesterday. The picture doesn't do it justice; this really looks a lot better in person. Honestly. I also did a little work on the new website for Franklin Street Studios - our group of seven artists in the old J&J factory in East Orange. So far, it's just one page - but the postcard and directions for our open studio tour is there - so come and visit us on April 29. And it has links to all the artists. But the best and most worthwhile thing I did today was go to the opening of a terrific exhibit called High Fiber Content. It was at the ARts Guild of Rahway,NJ and the guest curator was Jappie King Black, chair of the Fibers Dep't at Kean University. I realized, as I walked around and looked at the fabulous weavings, mixed media, and paper, that I was actually happy not to see a single quilt. I think I have become jaded and it was refreshing to be reminded that fiber is a diverse and wonderful category that includes so much more than quilts. Of course, I didn't take my camera, but the opening was packed. And I have to say that this was the best fiber exhibit I have seen in a long time. So, if you are within driving distance of Rahway, NJ (exit 135 on the Garden State) - make it your business to go see this terrific exhibit. It's up till April 20. For directions and hours, http://www.rahwayartsguild.org .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the new piece. Iwant to stir in it or eat it!

Joanie Gagnon San Chirico said...

Rayna, the Franklin Street Studio site looks terrific!!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...