Tuesday, May 12, 2009

a couple of challenges

When I was teaching Jump-Starting the Art Quilt in Grand Junction last month (after 2 days of printing) one of our exercises was "working from the fabric." There are lots of ways to get inspired - and this is one of them: starting with a piece of fabric that has colors or design you want to use for a jumping-off place. Nobody in the class could decide which of their fabrics to use as a starting point so I offered a piece of my own fabric, which was greeted enthusiastically. I tore it into pieces and distributed it, with the request that the class send me pictures of the pieces they had finished. I promised to post the results here. So far, I have four finished pieces and if/when the others come in, I'll post those, too. This is a smidgen of the fabric.
from Carole O'Brien "No Birds Just Plaid". It's 17 1/2 " x 12". This was a fun challenge, and I really do like the fabric even though it's not a color I use very often.
From Terry Lee I really enjoyed the fabric challenge. I didn’t really tweak the design much from what I started. I decided to try going through different color threads that were in my color palate. Then added some Angelina Fiber and beads to give the flower some pizzazz. Again, thanks for a great class.
Can't wait to see what everyone else did.
I was stumped by what to do with the challenge fabric. Pink isn't a color I use at all. It's just not me. I thermofaxed in gray on it, I used the screen print fabric from class and added another piece of fabric which I painted and printed on. I also used the pink challenge fabric as applique motifs. I find it very exciting to see how differently the pink (not my color either!!) fabric was used in all of these pieces. And since I have deconstructed another piece that is similar, I am going to challenge myself to use it. Thanks to all of you for meeting this challenge so beautifully and uniquely.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Each piece si wonderful!! Love seeing how the same fabric works in different people's hands!!
hugs!
Elizabeth

Eva said...

It is so phantastic to see how an outer influence -- the fabric -- comes as a stranger and becomes a friend through the working process.

Cathy said...

It's so cool to see where we all ended up, by using the same piece of fabric. Everyone's looks great. I'll be doing more to my piece, (when I decide what else it needs)

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...