Saturday, April 21, 2012

LOL

I don't know how I found this blogpost from 2009 when I was surfing last night, but it cheered me up immeasurably and, as always, made me giggle out loud, from the first sentence on.I hope it makes you giggle, too.

 Life as a Blogophyte



Once again, I have had to appeal to my 66-year-old (ok, 67, but I told her I'd shave off a year for helping me) mother, who not only has her own blog, which she updates incessantly, but also her own website. She sent me the following email yesterday since she knows I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here:

Get yourself on some blog rings, dearie. A few suggestions to get you started.http://www.nycbloggers.com/form.asphttp://www.ringsurf.com/ring/nybloggers/http://www.ringsurf.com/Arts/Writers_Resources/
You might also want to add sitemeter to your sidebar so you can see what your traffic is. Many people visit that don't leave comments.
http://www.sitemeter.com/
Finally, put a subscribe to this blog form on your sidebar. go to Layout, click on "add a widget" and you'll see a subscription widget come up.
xxx


Should I be humiliated that I couldn't figure out how to do these things myself or that my mom is 30 years my senior and has 20 followers on her blog when I have only one (who is, ahem, my mother)? I read a ton of blogs every day but I never realized what it takes to get people to know that you exist. There must be millions of blogs out there but if no one's visiting, is it like they don't exist (you know, tree falls in forest and all that)?

The truth is that I think my mom is pretty darn cool for having started her own website and blog in her 50s when most adults her age were just learning to use email (we tried to teach my grandmother several years ago and that was a big failure). She's always been a doer and, while I'm a doer too, I guess I just do things a bit more slowly than she does sometimes.

Mom's even on Facebook (yes, I finally accepted her as my friend after debating whether that was too weird). However, I don't think she's used Twitter yet--in fact, I'm not even sure she knows what it is--so maybe I can beat her to that. If I do, I sincerely hope I attract more than one follower!

7 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Hah! I love it!

Gerrie said...

LOL! My daughters do not want me on Twitter. Good thing I don't want to be there.

MariQuilts said...

That's funny. My youngest daughter actually brags to her friends about my blog....It's taken me 28 years, but I think I've finally impressed her. Oh by the way...I have no idea about the twitter thing, lets not get crazy.

Debbie said...

Yes, very funny, Rayna! I think I figured out how old you'll be on your next birthday in November, hehehe. BTW, I like Jessica's writing style.

My upper 70s father in law is very computer savvy and my also upper 70s father does pretty well, too. For some reason, my MIL and my mother are not interested.

Marybeth said...

I am a friend..I read your blog every single day..sometimes more than once if you have skipped a day or two! I just don't know how you would know that unless I left a message every day and that, my dear friend, could get very boring!! I love your blog!!

Linda Hicks said...

That was so funny, I thought at first it was YOUR earlier blog. Must revisit Widgets. I surfed after seeing Testfabrics 419 in your last blog and one author I found kept me up reading too late! Thanx for the leads.

Rayna said...

I am not that funny, but thanks for the compliment, Linda:-).

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...