Monday, July 24, 2006

printing in layers

On the left, you see my answer to Karoda's request from yesterday that I describe my print table setup. Since a picture is worth a lot of words, here's a closeup of the sandwich. It's one of those brown banquet tables. The first layer is pink styrofoam insulation board. Layer #2 is a sheet of foam 1/2" thick. Layer #3, which isn't visible here, is a clear plastic dropcloth. Normalment, I cover all of this with a twin bed contour sheet and that's it. However, since I have been doing batik and the hot wax has a way of melting the plastic sheet, I recently added a layer of carpet padding between the plastic and the cotton sheet. If you are not using hot wax, this is not necessary: I managed very nicely for 10 years without the carpet padding. I also recently got tired of bending over the table and bought those bed raiser thingies at Bed, Bath,and Beyond. Now you know all my secrets and I can tell you about my afternoon on the deck. I was going to work downstairs in my cleaned-up print studio, but after umpteen days of raging cloudbursts and humidity, today was San Diego weather: too beautiful to work inside. My friend Rachel came over this afternoon and we worked with Thiox. I set up my trusty hot plate and enamel pot and we experimented. This is a before (top) and after of a piece I had dyed/batik'd and overdyed because I didn't like it. It seemed too dark, so I ripped off a piece and threw it into the thiox bath. Oops - in the blink of an eye, more color came out than I would have liked. What happened to all the purple? But I find it very interesting to see what happened.

There was a lot of ugly stuff that was not improved by dunking, but I can't show it to you. It is late and I spent so much time on a consultation call with Ms. Closet tonight that it is past my bedtime. The next 4 days, I need to be at that print table.

2 comments:

Karoda said...

Thanks so much Rayna for showing me this...now I understand what is meant by a printing table.

Gerrie said...

Your printing table is more complex than mine!! I use Jane Dunnewold's design of batting, felt and cotton on the top (sheet or whatever.)

fabric strip giveaway update

Congrats to Quiltdivajulie, whose number came up in the generator! Julie, I'll send your envelope out as soon as I come up for air. ...