Tuesday, August 05, 2008

un-stymied, thanks to you!

Gee, what a group! Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. All were good ideas, but I wanted to finish quilting this piece TONIGHT. So when several of you said "silk thread," I remembered that I had some. I had never used it, but I knew where it was. Can you tell I bought it at a house sale? The price tag on the upper left of this satin quilted box says $3 all. I must have this for a decade or more. There are scissors in there and I think tape measures and who knows what else? Some of the thread is mercerized cotton but much of it is very fine silk in all these colors. Coats. They don't make 'em like that any more! The green on the left was the perfect color. So I went to work. Still not finished - I have to attach the facing before I finish quilting up to some of the edges. Stitching with silk is a whole other thing. I had to find the right tension for this very fine thread, and then, because I don't have a large-eye needle, the thread kept shredding so I had to stop. Stitches are large and uneven but I don't mind. It is almost done. Now I can take a break, go reward myself with some Haagen Dazs vanilla and raspberries. Do you think if I mix the ice cream half and half with nonfat plain yogurt it will count as a diet dessert?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think if you are mixing ice cream with yoghurt you are wasting good space in the bowl. Don't you have some mini meringues and fresh rasperries instead?

jenclair said...

I see that you had a fortuitous discovery of stashed vintage treasure as well! Mmmmm -- silk threads!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...