Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Do I need a catchy headline??

Nah.  I'm in Portland, OR -- that should be catchy enough.  Got in last night and Gerrie Congdon picked me up at the airport. Yippee - I have a day to deal with time zone issues and am spending it with Gerrie and the handsome Mr. C.

Today, I had the tour of downtown Portland.   First stop, Gerrie needed knitting needles. I wandered happily around, soaking up all the color. 

As if that weren't enough, we had to stop at the needlework store next door so Gerrie could get some embroidery thread.  Uh huh.
Basically, you could say we spent the day shpatziring (Yiddish for strolling around, shopping, going on an expedition without any particular goal) and it was wonderful.  We stopped at a lovely store called Canoe, where we saw lots of things we wanted to buy.  One of these minimalist home furnishings places with well-designed items that you see in the shelter magazine photos of other people's homes. Gerrie loved the Noguchi lamps (upper right).
I was tempted to treat myself to an elegant coffee thermos in orange or red or lime green. Fortunately, I don't have room in my suitcase.  But maybe when I get home...
Then we went for a fabulous lunch which we forgot to photograph because we were so hungry. But while we were waiting for our main meal, I snacked on a salad of tomato, celery, beet, pickled jalapeno and a mushroom.

We hit the Apple store, which was large and crowded but didn't have the new iPhones or watches (not that we were going to buy any of these, anyway), but still...

Finally, we had to visit a fab craft gallery called The Real Mother Goose.  I tried on a gorgeous, to-die-for silk top that fortunately, was too big -- so I couldn't buy it.  But Gerrie tried on a stunning jacket that looked wonderful on her and (of course, my fault - she had to buy it). So, Gerrie's day was a success because she bought stuff and mine was a success because I didn't:-).

We went back to Gerrie's elegant abode and crashed for the rest of the afternoon, communing with our iPads.  She made a yummy dinner and here I am, back at the hotel. I had better get to bed because I need to be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow so I can get to the guild meeting in time to set up for my talk.

4 comments:

Kaja said...

I love wool shops - all that beautiful colour and I'm a poor knitter so not much temptation! Well done on your self-control :-)

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

My interest in fibers began with my grandmother teaching me to embroider and I still have distinct memories of the excitement of buying the floss. An early favorite was the skeins variegated colors. To this day "ombre " or color shifting excites me.

Of course the wall of wools was drool worthy. Thanks for sharing.

Mia Bloom Designs said...

I'm glad you're enjoying your stay in Oregon. I lived there for 5 years and had fun checking out the shops, etc. in Portland.

Judy said...

Glad you both had successful days! Wish I was there with you!!!

xxoo

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...