Monday, August 29, 2005

back to work

Before I forget: Susan Sorrell asked whether there was a difference between Knox and 'industrial strength' gelatin. I haven't the vaguest idea: probably not. But buying it in large quantities, it is substantially less expensive. I won't bore you with another picture of my (neatened) studio; trust me, I was up till 2:am sorting, ironing, and folding hand-dyed and printed fabrics. They now reside in neat piles in the bookcase. I feel so calm and happy. While going through the chaos, I unearthed two in-process pieces and another one I had made some years ago and put on a background of cheesy fabric that I never liked. Last night I un-quilted it, ripped it off the background, and it is on the studio floor on one of Helene Davis' hand-dyed fabrics that is just the perfect background color. Now I have to live with it and decide whether it is finished. (the white dots in the large version are pins - ignore them,please.) What inspired it in the first place: I was at a chamber music concert and the piece they were playing was in a minor key. I wondered if I could find a way to express a minor key visually and this was the result. I called it "Blue Note." Tomorrow, crit group meeting here. For a change, I will have some work to share.

1 comment:

mary m. said...

very cool, Rayna. How's your mother doing?

fabric strip giveaway update

Congrats to Quiltdivajulie, whose number came up in the generator! Julie, I'll send your envelope out as soon as I come up for air. ...