Monday, October 31, 2005

class fun in Houston!!

Exhausting and exhilarating at the same time, teaching at Houston was an experience! The morning I was demonstrating how to put text and images on fabric, who showed up but fellow blogger artists, Rian and Debra. How great to meet them and I wish I'd had more time to chat. But it was too hectic. Here we are! My "Surface Design with Found Objects" students had the most fun they've had since kindergarten and, in fact, played as though they WERE in kindergarten. Completely spontaneous screening and stamping led to such beautiful fabrics that I wished that they were mine. One finally was: Liz Berg and I did a little trade and I ended up with a luminous piece of her fabric. This is a different piece.
Here is Liz, clowning around with a syringe as she decorates her cloth.

Everyone in the workshop made beautiful fabric. I wish I had been able to get pictures of all of it. Here are some by Paula Pillow, who was stuck in Houston traffic and arrived late. She certainly made up for lost time!

And below, a detail from the lovely fabric that Anna Rodriguez screened. The layers of gold and the darker color that she added give a complexity to the piece that keeps it from being too 'pretty.' Like all of the pieces above, this was screen printed and stamped with original stencils and/or 'found' objects. The following day, I taught "Jump-starting Your Next Quilt" (aka Jump-starting the ART Quilt). Stay tuned for more pictures.

4 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Houston was Fun! I so enjoyed seeing you in action!

Rian said...

Me too, Rayna, it was great to meet you and watch you get down with the blue paint! It was a blast. See ya around...

Elle said...

It looks like everyone had so much fun at the workshop!!!

Rayna said...

"fun" was the operative word. Almost everybody used it in their comments on the eval. forms And I, too, had a great time! Debra and Rian - hope to see you again next year. And Elle - maybe you'll get there, too.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...