Wednesday, October 12, 2005

fabric land

This is the inside of a plastic box I've been filling with scraps to take to Houston. Odds and ends and bits and leftovers that I can't travel without, just in case the urge to make a little piece of something hits me. I'll finish filling it and take it to my Jump-starting the Art Quilt workshop so I can work along with my class. As I was ironing the scraps and tossing them into the box, I saw some combinations that would look great together and wanted to stop and put them on the design wall. But I didn't have time. There's nothing like going through the stash to make you see things you hadn't seen before...things that have been there all the time. Try it; I do it periodically and it always yields a new piece What's this?? Box #2. Almost full and almost ready to duct-tape closed. Then there is one more little bitsy box that probably won't even be full, but I have enough extra stuff that I will need it. It's the shipping back that gets to me. It is raining cats & dogs and has been horrendous all day. There is something comforting about being in on a day like this: my mother used to iron when it rained and when I came home from school, the kitchen smelled of warmth and steam. I think I love to iron because it gives me a sense of comfort. So, ironing all these fabrics today in a torrential downpour seemed appropriate. One more thing: I sat down at the machine late this afternoon and stitched this piece that's been sitting around waiting to be finished. The middle is a gelatin plate print, the green border is image transfer, and the outside is a piece of Helene Davis' fabric that some time ago I did something to, but I can't remember what. I'm too lazy to look back at my own archives to find out what I did. I will take it with me. Tonight I picked a get out of jail free card, so I will have to make a cup of English tea and decide what this wonderful gift entitles me to do.

1 comment:

mary m. said...

Rayna,

I love your gelatin-printed window and your box of goodies! I'm so looking forward to meeting you next week!

fabric strip giveaway update

Congrats to Quiltdivajulie, whose number came up in the generator! Julie, I'll send your envelope out as soon as I come up for air. ...