Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Wednesday and so forth

I am trying to look ashamed but I can't seem to manage it. I know I said I wasn't going to buy any more of them, but someone I know had a bazaar at her house tonight with a lot of - gulp - wooden stamps from Afganistan. Not official tjaps, since they are not copper, but I could not resist. I bought five of them and used them immediately on a couple of yards of fabric that are drying downstairs.
On the plus side: today was one of those rare 'gee, I really accomplished something' days. . Monday at the museum, I brought along my favorite Eileen Fisher black long-sleeved t-shirt that was no longer black. It was sort of faded to greenish black except for the greasy looking spots right in the front that remained black -- you know what I mean. So on Monday I used wax as a resist with discharge paste as a cover-up, and then today I painted a little dye onto the discharged area. The picture looks better than the actual shirt, but the shirt looks better than it did before Monday. And I will not be embarrassed to wear it. Or should I be?
I spent the morning doing paperwork, paying bills, and such. But I did take a walk to the bank -- applause please, for the WALK part. I normally take my car and stop on the way to umpteen other places, but this morning I didn't have any other place to go and it is only a five minute walk each way. I felt virtuous for about a half hour afterwards. Spent the afternoon mixing up a batch of dyes and working on some scarves that are now in the washing machine. I started them on Monday at the museum and finished them today. This is my favorite. Here is what it looked like on Monday. Tomorrow I am spending another day in the studio. Hooray!

5 comments:

Pat Dolan said...

Discharge paste??? Tell us more!

Debra said...

Oh my goodness!! YOu mean I save all my tshirts (with those greasy little stains that make them unwearable)!! I will have to seriously think about this over the weekend...

Julie Zaccone Stiller said...

Rayna, that shirt is fabulous! I say: Wear it with artist's pride.

Marlene said...

Rayna
The T-shirt looks fantastic, I say wear it with pride too! What a great project idea for all my non-wearable shirts.

Micki said...

like the t-shirt. might have to consider doing a few of mine.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...