Friday, May 26, 2006

making art that matters

Today, I think it matters more that I make ART than whether the art matters, if you know what I mean. I have been gardening and taking care of business matters, making a baby quilt (see the back side, left) -- in short, doing everything but making art. Yes, it is important to 'do the work.' Some of you make something every day - a sketch, a postcard, a collage - come hell or high water. I am not one of those disciplined people...and I envy you. How can I make something if I am not in the mood? If I am stretched beyond the limit with sandwich generation things? If, if, if. I guess it's a matter of priorities - and I am not making my art a priority these days. Enough of true confessions. Yesterday, I finally went to the library after a long, dry spell. Two books by two of my favorite authors - Martha Grimes and P.D. James,who can WRITE and develop real characters I can care about. And two light-hearted, fluffy mysteries that are fun and good escape. I have yet to sit down and read, of course. But that will have to wait till I finish the other things on my to-do list -- which I am off to do for the rest of the morning.

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love PD! I have her latest book which I need to start reading. I have been neglecting that part of my life.

jenclair said...

I love them both. The first Martha Grimes I read turned me off (The Horse You Came in On), but for some reason, several years later, I tried her again. And fell in love with the characters-- especially Melrose Plant. I've read at least 10 of them and wish I could read every one of the Richard Jury novels.

I also enjoy the characters in the Adam Dalgleish mysteries by P.D. James, but the wit and humor in Grimes' novels make them so much fun.

I've moved my blog

Follow me over to     https://rgillman.wixsite.com/studio78/blog  , subscribe to get the updated posts, and please leave me a comment (a...