Monday, July 21, 2008

revisiting the journal

< A few days ago my copy of Laura Cater-Woods' new book, Idea to Image: Tempting Your Muse, arrived. Hooray! Just what I needed. I started reading it yesterday and brought it with me to work on while I waited and waited and waited and waited with my mother at the doctor's office. I brought along a yellow pad and a pencil so I could - uh - doodle. By the time we had waited an hour, this is what I felt like. I read the doctor the riot act (nice way to start the day) and if I had been the patient, i would have walked out and not come back. But my mother was in pain, so we stayed. But we'll find another doctor if she has the same problem again. In 1999, I started to keep a visual journal: images that appealed to me, design ideas (none of which I ever used), and thoughts. When I look back at this image from 9 years ago, I see the x's and o's that I didn't realize were in my head that long ago. This piece is from 2007 - quite a bit less orderly. When I got sick in 2000, I stopped. And I never went back till 2005, when I decided I should draw. I can't draw...but I drew. I drew my foot, I drew the inside of my refrigerator, I drew my plants. and I drew the view from my (then) studio window. You can tell it is winter. Looking back, I am in shock. This is the person whose 7th grade art teacher gave her a grade of C on her tree. Would I still get a C? Maybe a B-. Finally, I found my Art Goals list for 2006. It is very short. My goal now is to get a good night's sleep. It is midnight in New Jersey.

6 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

I give you an "a" on your tree. what a shame that we feel the need to grade kids on creativity. it is a soul killer. I am so glad you found your own way.

Anonymous said...

Journaling and drawing are something I aspire to do regularly and don't. Other things always come up. Your post makes me think I need to be more "serious" about it.

A few days ago, when I saw your photos of hub caps I meant to write to say that they made me think of a book I own called Inspiration Odyssey by Diana Swim Wessels. It's been out of print for a long time, but she devotes much of her book to circles and she does a lot with the inspiration from hub cap designs. I even drew hubcaps daily back then when I was doing a lot of carpooling.

Anonymous said...

The nicest thing I could hear is that my workbook or workshop helped another artist revisit their creativity. thank you.

Drawing is just a form of markmaking, you excell.
keep at it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rayna,
I love your tree. I love your Xs and Os...isn't it fascinating how somthing floats around in our heads and we don't even realize it? I just ordered your book and can't wait to get it.
Liz
in Colorado

Vivien Zepf said...

I've purchased Laura's book on your recommendation; I have no clue how to use a journal. I also have your fabulous book because I'll be taking your class on July 31. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Your comment about the 7th grade teacher made me think of my art teacher in my senior year... not because he put my untutored work down, but because he told me to keep plugging away. At the time I was disappointed... I wanted more inspiration from him. But he was right... I have just kept plugging away, and the ride has been fantastic! That's what we do... try, go away, come back, reassess, try again. The hope is that we get joy from the trying!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...