Saturday, December 04, 2010

Cycle for Survival

This morning, up at the ungodly hour of 7:am (for a weekend, it's ungodly).  But I have accomplished some important things.

I have mailed out another sold scarf and also mailed my check to Sloan-Kettering to support Jessica Kleiman as she rides in Cycle for Survival to raise money for research on the rare cancer--soft tissue sarcoma -- that her friend Jen Goodman Linn has.   Jen founded Cycle for Survival, which is in its fifth year.  Jessica has pledged to raise $1,000 and is almost halfway there.

Some months ago I asked you to vote for Jen for the Energizer Bunny award and she won!  Unfortunately, she was back in the hospital and missed the awards ceremony.  She has had five or six surgeries and her tumors have come back and she is back on a strong chemo regimen again after having been in remission. Fingers x'd that this will work: so far, the report is good.  If you can find it in your heart to donate even $5 or $10 to support Jessica, who will be cycling for Jen's survival and for the survival of others who have this rare soft tissue sarcoma.  Thanks!

On another subject -- I have now completed this much more cheddar-y block to send off to Victoria for the NY Metro Modern Quilters group quilt. It goes out in Monday's mail.
The cheddar fabric is from Handloom Batik.  Usha's shop at 532 Warren St. in Hudson, NY will be open Sunday, Dec. 5 if you need her wonderful fabric, shirts, scarves, or yummy shawls for gifts and are within driving distance of the Hudson Valley - be sure to go.

Finally, I have cut some strips to face a quilt that has been waiting for me to finish it.  And the other night I went back to revisit a quilt I made a year or two ago that I have never been happy with. It has been critiqued by several luminaries, all of whom thought it was just fine.  I am the only one who finds it wanting - so I have to take it to the studio and fix it (if I can figure out how). Perhaps next week.

3 comments:

Hilary Metcalf said...

Hi Rayna - how interesting that you find your quilt wanting, yet the honest, and seemingly informed view of others is that it is fine. Can you articulate what exactly it is you don't like - feel that it is missing? I would be very interested to see it - you hav me intrigued!

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Thanks for the block Rayna! The quilt will be a queen size and we will continue laying it out in feb. ;-) I'm anxious to get me some of Usha's fabrics. Gorgeous...

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

I've always had a soft spot for cheddar. And I really like this one too!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...