Sunday, December 28, 2008

As I drove away today, I snapped this picture of the snow. If you look really hard, you can see two little blobs of white between the driveway and the tree. There are piles of it across the street, but ours is gone. It was 65 degrees here today and smelled like Florida. I was in my usual Birk sandals and it was too hot for a sweatshirt. Tomorrow will be in the 50's and then they are predicting snow again later in the week. Weather is not my favorite subject, but I send my sympathies to all of you in the northwest and midwest for all the horrible storms and floods and what-not. Good grief! Stay safe. Jessica and Tommy have been in Wisconsin this week spending Christmas with Tommy's family. I hope they get home safely tomorrow. I sent Marty to the mall to take advantage of the sales and buy a new pair of jeans while I went to work. Like my friend Carol Larson, I am printing art cloth to submit to an exhibit and need the space for two yard pieces, which are difficult to do at home. I have now got two layers on one of the pieces and am debating what my next move should be on that and on another piece. I added a layer to some yardage that will probably not be submitted, but we'll see what happens tomorrow. I took lots of pictures but the battery on my good camera went and the little one takes lots of blurry pictures if you get too close to anything. So I will have more pix to put up tomorrow when I reshoot them. I had cut this piece of rather odd shibori in two, determined to do something to the half that didn't come out so well. This is the better half of what started as a yucky piece of yellow. Today, I made a new Thermofax screen and decided it would be good for the other half. This is before I brought it home to steam, etc. What looks like purple has turned into fuschia, which takes five years to ever rinse out completely. It is soaking as we speak. And finally, I was playing around with the neutrals and left this small piece on my design wall at the end of the day. It seems this series will never end; it is so deeply a part of me that it resurfaces again and again without conscious thought. In Sept '07 we had a whole discussion on this blog about working in a series which continued a second day and ended up being an article in the SAQA Journal. Lots of people are able to work consciously in a series and I wish I could do that - but it feels contrived for me to do it that way. Nevertheless, several series emerge all by themselves when I least expect it. Don't you find that happens to you, too?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far, I have only made 2 quilts of a series, and I'm working on a series of post cards now... I only call them a series because I used the same fabric for the base, then couched some yarn and ribbon in an overall design before cutting into post card size. The quilts came a year apart, with a common 'Rock' theme.
BTW, I will try to take a picture of our yard and post on my blog today... we're sitting in about 2 foot of snow so far, and it's not melting very fast!
XO

Judy

Anonymous said...

I love that bright quilt! Just the kind of colors I would choose. I probably wouldn't get very far with that quilt group either.

Judy Rys said...

Wow . . . I LOVE those fabrics. Great job Rayna. The color combination and textures are fabulous. I tend to return to certain subjects, however, the techniques used and final look are very different. Does that count as a series?

Rayna said...

I think so, Judy - lots of things can make a series: color studies, subject matter-- whatever you decide is part of a series. If you return to a subject over a period of years, it is natural for the result to look different because you (hopefully) have grown and changed in the way you approach your work. Hey - if you say it's a series, it is a series. You're the boss.

Eva said...

Series come naturally when you grow older. You just forget that you did that thing before, and do it again.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...