Sunday, December 28, 2008

quiet weekend

It has actually been a long weekend and it's not over yet! Starting Wednesday at noon, when Marty came home, every day has been Saturday. It is getting a bit old. Spent 2 or 3 days re-photographing a bunch of quilts and putting them into a powerpoint, which I also had to rewrite because I was bored with it. And if I am bored, just think how my audience will feel! Anyway, here is the first quilt I ever made: hand pieced, hand quilted, 1974. No rotary cutters or mats existed. Traced pattern with carbon paper, added 1/4" all around, cut, and sewed with needle and thread. Only Polyester batting was in the stores - this one weighs about 900 lbs because I wanted it warm, so it is double batting. Years ago I took it to a small quilting group meeting of people I didn't know very well. I brought this quilt and they all laughed and told me how ugly and "seventies" it was. I think those ditsy calicos have a certain je ne sais quoi: I never went back. Here is a detail. Today, I spent half the day in the beauty salon, getting beautiful. While I was waiting around for the color to take (gasp - "You mean it's not your natural color???") I realized there were patterns everywhere. Luckily, I had my camera in my purse, so I amused myself and frightened the manicurist by taking a picture or three. Tomorrow is Sunday - let's see what day it feels like...

4 comments:

Eva said...

The names of such products are so delightful. From Raspberry frost over Melon Sorbet to Deep Pomegranate and back. But: no warning? "These fruits aren't edible". There must be a warning!

Eva said...

No felt-eating necessary. I invented the names.

Anonymous said...

That quilt is so 'un-you' it almost becomes you! LOL I do like it....would look good in one of my guestrooms!

and the color on the short sexy hair is great...haven't seen that concoction here in Atlanta: will have to look for it.

Let me be the first to wish you a happy 2009!

xo

Grace said...

Way cool pics....love the lines, shapes and colours. Bet the salon had no idea they created such intrigue with their hair products.

Do we get to see a pic of the new DO??

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...