Thursday, June 18, 2009

my camera is never far from my side...

Except when someone else grabs it to take a picture of me, or when I am walking around the classroom, asking "where is my camera? Has anyone seen my camera? I know it's here somewhere..." I have usually parked it on someone's table when I've been answering a question or helping with something. This repeats itself about 20 times a day; I think my next camera has to be red or acid green or something easy to spot. Tonight, I left it in the classroom when we went to dinner and realized it at the restaurant. Ack. I took so many pix that I couldn't face not blogging tonight - so Eileen Alber was nice enough to unlock the shop after dinner so I could retrieve the camera. It was under a pile of fabric on my table. Big surprise. Above, I am demonstrating putting glue on a screen. What I did was not nearly as interesting as some of the screens the students made. Here are just a couple of them lying in the sun (screens, not students). Glue was a big hit and a couple of students decided it was their favorite thing to do. Oh, joy. Sherrill Kahn worked primarily on paper, her primary medium, but today she switched to fabric for a while and was thrilled with the results from her glue screen!Sharon is doubly delighted because she has never printed before and is discovering that she is an artist. This is her glue fabric.
Hanging on the lines and racks, all kinds of goodies, screened with glue and/or tape.
After lunch, I gave everyone a syringe so they could add their own marks to the fabrics . Judy Rys came to class today wearing an appropriate shirt on which she wrote with the syringe she got from me last time I saw her, a few years ago when I taught in Santa Barbara.
Using a syringe isn't always easy till you get the hang of it. Florence had put a bit too much on the fabric but folded it over and pretty soon, it was looking good!
The rest of the afternoon flew by with tons of fabric being printed and everyone working in layers.
By the end of the day, I said goodbye to Cherrill, who has family obligations that are pulling her away for the rest of the week. We admire each others' work so much, which is funny because except for the layering, they are polar opposites. About half the class went to dinner at an Indian restaurant (we've eaten Mexican, Middle Eastern- twice - and tomorrow, sushi). Then, after I retrieved my camera so I could post these pix tonight, I came back to this lovely Marriott Courtyard. I must say this is the nicest hotel I have stayed at, anywhere I have traveled to teach (except, of course, the Claremont Hotel in Berkeley). Thanks to the Quilters Studio in Newbury Park, CA, for making my stay so comfortable. One more thing: this is Pam Price Klebaum's glue print. I'd like to know what you see.
Tomorrow we switch gears.

9 comments:

Eva said...

The glue print a the bottom: a tree with glue, in German: Klebbaum. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anonymous said...

I see an angel with that long skinny horn thing that I can't remember the name of, faced the wrong way, haha....
debbie bein

Beverly said...

I see the same thing, a robed figure with a long trumpet.

Elizabeth said...

Love what you did witht he glue!!! thanks for all of the inspiring pictures!!!
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Fibra Artysta said...

Maybe I'm weird but I see an old woman hunched over, maybe knitting.

I love it a lot.

imquilternity said...

It was wonderful to see many of these fabrics and more when I stopped by in the afternoon. They were all so GORGEOUS! Everyone seemed quite pleased with their results. I was like a kid in a candy store except that I couldn't take any of them home with me! :)

-Terri

kathy said...

Great fabrics, Rayna. Does the glue wash out of the screen fairly easily?

Unknown said...

I see a bird talking to a baby giraffe. (Should I admit that in public?!)

Judy said...

well, I'm very late in leaving a comment, but I see graceful ballerinas doing their stretches!

xo

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...