Monday, August 29, 2011

after the storm

Perfect fall weather: a tiny nip in the air, blue sky and sunshine and a street gloriously unscathed. The woods are intact and gorgeous: not a single fallen tree.
 And my basil plant looks none the worse for wear after having been inside for a couple of days.
 I am not going anywhere, however.   We still are on a "boil water" alert, and roads are flooded and closed all over the place. 750,000 households have no power and people are rowing around in boats, waiting for the rivers to crest and then recede.

This is the boathouse at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ and Route 18, which I travel frequently, is completely under water.   Part of route 287 collapsed and there was all kinds of other disaster stuff I won't go into because it is too sad.



After this brief midday interlude, back to work!  I will have more to post tonight - but not about this.
Thank you for all your caring and wonderful emails and facebook comments.

10 comments:

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

Glad you made it through unscathed. We did fine in Philadelphia too.

Cathy Bargar said...

I'm sorry, and it is sad - you are wise to focus on other things, preferably things you can do something about (therapy sewing, perhaps? And where's that recipe for tomato-peach ice cream I was hoping you'd come up with?)
And can I just say, if I haven't already, how glad I am that your new book will be out soon? It makes me quite happy every time I remember about it - which, with my brain working the way it is these days, is roughly the equivalent of meeting a new person every time I look on the mirror.
Got any great recipes for using up gigantic Milano Black zucchinis?

MulticoloredPieces said...

Just dropped by from Artful Quilts web ring to enjoy your blog and your textile work. The flood pictures are impressive--glad you're not in the middle of it.
best, nadia

Sue Dennis said...

Good to hear you are high & dry & thoughts to those who have not been so lucky. We have a cyclone season here in Australia, so know the drill.

Karoda said...

Hangeth in Rayna...hangeth in!

Cate Rose said...

Glad you're okay! Will you be making basil ice cream??

Beverly said...

Yikes, that is a lot of water- I'm glad you got through Irene without damage. Like Karen said, hangeth in there!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

You've been on my mind, and I am glad you are safe... do stay home until the coast is clear (oh, my... is that a pun?)! Glad your basil is doing okay... mine is very puny looking this year! Haven't had much time to play in the garden... hopefully I'll catch up soon.

Vivian Helena said...

glad to hear that you are ok, and not underwater.
So very scary during, and frightful after...can't even imagine where one would start with all the mud and debris.

dissertation writing said...

glad to know you are ok! sorry for everything that happened!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...