Thursday, August 25, 2011

more on tomatoes

I am sure there must be a good recipe out there somewhere for tomato ice cream, but this was not it.
It was not as odd as the avocado ice cream from a month or two ago, but it was tasteless. I'm sure it would not even have achieved Marty's famous "perfectly adequate" rating. A true oxymoron. finally added some vanilla and cinnamon and it was not bad.  But "not bad" is not the same as "good."  Of course, it was not the recipe's fault that the skins didn't come off so easily and that there are lumpy bits of it in the ice cream - but at least the bits added - uh - texture.

I would have done better to have made ice cream from the FABULOUS cold tomato-peach soup that Mark Bittman made on the Today show I saw at the gym yesterday. It was so good, I ate it hot, right out of the pot. And then at room temp. Did I give you this recipe? It is divine.

Recipe: Cold cream of tomato and peach soup


Ingredients
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 pounds chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 pound chopped peeled peaches
  • 1/2 cup cream (optional but good)
  • chopped tarragon.
Preparation
Cook 1 chopped onion in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes. Add 2 pounds chopped tomatoes and 1/2 pound chopped peeled peaches. Simmer until the tomatoes break up. Add 1/2 cup cream (optional but good), purée, and chill. Garnish: chopped tarragon.
I had lunch with Judy Langille today - we hadn't seen each other all summer, so it was good to catch up.
Afterwards, we stopped at Jerry's so she could buy Yupo paper and I could buy charcoal and a large sketchbook. Then I went home and spent the rest of the afternoon with the Verizon tech who fixed my phone line.  Now I have Internet from two sources. Great.

1 comment:

Cathy Bargar said...

Hah! As soon as I started reading your post about the rather less-than-divine tomato ice cream, I thought "oooh, I gotta tell her about Mark (is that his first name? Anyway) Bittman's tomato peach soup - I bet she could work that up into some fabulous ice cream!" Then I read on, and I had to laugh out loud. Great minds, etc!

Stay inside and safe, Rayna!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...