Wednesday, August 17, 2011

a colorful couple of days

It used to be that baking was my favorite thing to do at night - usually around 9-10 o'clock.  My kids still remember baking chocolate chip cookies with me at night (ok, so it was 8:00) when they were little. This evening activity stayed with me - and I almost never baked during the day unless I had to.  I suppose it was my way of relaxing - it was a great way to de-stress after a long day at work.

These days, it is frozen yogurt I make at night. Faster and less work.  These days I make a pint at a time -- last week it was the best strawberry on the planet: 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt, 1 pint strawberries mushed in the food processor, and a little bit of sugar. It was fabulous. The next batch wasn't as good and I attribute it to the quality of the strawberries.  Tonight it was blueberry. Here it is in the ice cream machine.  Now I know where the name for the frozen yogurt brand, Pinkberry, came from.
OMG - this is so fabulous (can you tell I am eating it as I write??) that I am sorry I made only a little bit! I even don't mind too much that it is pink: you can't have everything. To die for - and hardly any calories. Really!  I am not even a fan of blueberries but they are so good for you that I bought some today. 
 1 cup yogurt
 1 cup blueberries
a little less than 1/4 cup sugar
a little lemon juice + a pinch of cinnamon
Whirr in food processor till berries are chopped and mixture is pink. Put in ice cream machine for 15-20 min (or till it gets thick).

 Yesterday I was in the studio for the second day in a row and I actually got something done. The yellow therapy strips I started sewing together in April have turned into something and I sewed most of it together - although I was still auditioning a few different arrangements and taking pictures so I could look at them on my computer and make a decision.  This is a detail; the green was unexpected - it crept in on its own. Amazing what a piece will do when you are not looking!


Two other pieces are still in process - more therapy strips that are dawdling along, enjoying their journey but not in a rush to get to where they are going. Mostly because they have no map and aren't sure which paths they are following. I started sewing the gray on the left together in January, 2010 when I was in Florida.

From pink to neutrals, my days have been filled with colors and choices. Still working on these two and will probably put them away again till they decide what they will be when they grow up.

As you see, I have Internet.  I finally called the phone company kicking and screaming. They claimed it had nothing to do with the strike (a coincidence??)  Bad line. They keep telling me that and it never gets better.  Comcast is supposed to come tomorrow.
good night.





3 comments:

Diane Wright said...

Your therapy strips SING...love how that green snuck it's way in...also love blueberries (and we can still pick them here) so thanks for the recipe ;^)

Unknown said...

I love this post. The frozen yogurt looks delicious and the strips are look fabulous.

Cate Rose said...

The yogurt looks fab, wish I had an ice cream machine, easier for me to run down to Safeway, but obviously NOT the same!

I love what those stripes with the green have done. As for the others, they are merely "being open to whatever emerges," which is the best way to be.

Ah, the phone companies...I had so much trouble months ago getting AT&T to honor the price of the internet connection they actually offered me when I set up my new account, that I did get quite testy with a couple of the sales guys. Not long afterward, AT&T corporate sends out a letter saying, among other things, that they have the right to terminate the service if customers aren't nice to their phone agents! I thought they wrote it just for me, but obviously others were pretty upset with their rather bait-and-switch tactics. Everything's ironed out now, but there were a couple of ridiculous months of wrangling with them to do what they said they would do.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...