Sunday, December 11, 2005

Sunday in the studio

This morning, I have spent some time quilting the Gates piece I made last February after we had that wonderful day in Central Park. Atypical of what I do -- and larger (44"x44" before I straighten and face the edges) -- it has been languishing in my studio for all of 2005. Although I am not finished, I thought that since we were talking the other day about how to quilt a piece, I would post a pic or two of how I am working with a blocky piece like this. While some people do a wonderful job of allover quilting, I change color of thread and quilt in whatever way the block tells my machine to do it. Since my pieces are not about the stitch, I no longer worry about it. After a couple of hours of plugging away, it's time to shift gears and do something else. Here is a closeup of a couple of those blocks - you see what I mean? So now, I need to make another gelatin plate for tomorrow's museum day with my Studio Six group. And then, who knows what? It is a bitterly cold, sunny day, and I am happy to be in with Mozart string quartets.

1 comment:

Deb R said...

I don't think I had seen the Gates piece before. I like it. The difference in the quilting from block to block adds a lot of interest.

I like your new red highlights too. (Couldn't comment on those before because for a few days there blogger was refusing to show me photos on some blogs, including yours.)

fabric strip giveaway update

Congrats to Quiltdivajulie, whose number came up in the generator! Julie, I'll send your envelope out as soon as I come up for air. ...