Monday, December 12, 2005

topsy-turvy

First, my comment on your comments from yesterday. I am blown away by how differently you all saw the piece I posted. It just proves to me -- yet again -- the case against artists' statements. It is obvious that we all bring our own sensibilities and experiences to anything we view, and that if an artist tells us what the piece is 'supposed to' represent, it limits the viewer's relationship and/or dialogue with the piece. I have my vision, you have yours -- and Today was Studio Six play day at the museum: we did gelatin printing and everybody had a great time with it. Amazing how versatile a medium it is and how everybody's work reflected her own style, no matter what. Of course, I didn't like anything I did so I rinsed out the paint from the cloth and started again, using soy wax as a resist and leaving the gelatin plate till some other time. Then tonight, I've been playing with a piece I printed and overprinted. I've added and removed a number of elements that were not there to begin with and I just couldn't make it work. Then I rotated it in all four directions. These are in no particular order. Amazing what a difference turning it around makes. A very interesting exercise. I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

gabrielle said...

Yummy...and yes, amazing how orientation effects a piece.

Liz Plummer said...

Yes, yes, yes, a book, please!!

This is gorgeous. I like the top one best. Personally.

Micki said...

this is wonderful and I agree, you should do a book for all of us!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...