Friday, January 13, 2006

another day in paradise

Paradise, being my studio. It's been a whole week of feeling as though I am on vacation: no obligations to anyone else, no appointments, no hassles, and not one message on the answering machine. Rare and precious. Time for creativity, time for lunch and tea with good friends, and even time to bake. Renewal of spirit -- now all I need is a week at a spa so my body can be renewed, as well. Then we have renewal of wardrobe. Notice I did not say NEW wardrobe. I tackled a shirt that had started as a lovely cream color. When it became somewhat yecchy, I dyed it a pale blue. But after a while, even that didn't help. Cut to yesterday: triage for the pale blue t-shirt with stains of unknown origin on it. I batik'd it with one of the tjaps I acquired recently, and then painted some black and indigo dyes on it. Here it is, on my favorite model. It is actually the perfect shade of indigo for my new, $15.99 designer jeans from Costco. As we were leaving to go out for Friday night martinis and dinner at our favorite neighborhood place, I was a study in blue - including last winter's big purchase: my light blue shearling clogs from Cole Haan. It occured to me briefly that the shirt and jeans were better suited to a person half my age than to an old person like me. And then the thought was gone. Who cares? (aside from my mother, who recently asked me "are those the ONLY clothes you have?"). The answer, of course, was yes. I wouldn't have it any other way.

6 comments:

jenclair said...

Sounds as if you have had a wonderful, relaxing, and creative week!

Congratulations on the transformation of the cream > to blue > to indigo shirt. Looks great (and comfortable).

Lin said...

GREAT SAVE on the shirt, Rayna! And I love the color and design! Wardrobe Redux!!

Anonymous said...

Great job on the shirt! I am envious of your week. I hope you will give both garment and week-clearing lessons at Campbell! And maybe we could deal with mothers a bit too?

Anonymous said...

Fabulous redo on the shirt! I need to do this with my white shirts that I am always buying and staining within the first two or three wearings!!

I feel that real age and dress is an attitude and you've got the right attitude.

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely result Rayna. I'd definately wear it. Finding that my clothes are becoming more "me" the older I'm getting and that's definately more youthful. There's a theory knocking about that you set your fashion style in your late 20's early 30's then stick to it into old age. Guess that explains the twin set and pearls on the elderly - a style from their youth.

Rayna said...

Well, this week was a rare find. Après moi, le déluge. You guys are great fun!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...