Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Mrs. Closet

I spent the day with Mrs. Closet, my space consulatant. I probably should call her Dr. Closet, since she looked at my studio and diagnosed both it and me with the same serious disease. However, you have seen pictures of my workspace so you can easily imagine that the cure is not so easy. To begin the long road to a cure, the cheerful Mrs. Closet insisted that we leave the house and make some purchases. She took me to Drug Fair, where we stocked up on plastic shoe-boxes and 12 quart containers. Then, on to Staples to buy more milk box-type bins that stack and have wheels. (see post-modern sculpture on left). After a few more errands and a divine Indian lunch where we ate far too much, Mrs. Closet and I came back to start the real work of the day: REORGANIZING. Chore #1: Color-coordinate the containers. Mrs. C. insisted that I stack 3 white containers together so they would at least give the illusion of being organized. She had also insisted I purchase containers in the same silver as the two I already had -- for the same reason. Much as I dislike admitting it, she had the right idea: the room looked better as soon as I stacked like color bins together. Chore #2: Empty all the bins, iron and sort the fabric. Put into shoe boxes and 12 quart containers. Do you think this is EASY?? Mrs. C. had the easy part: taking out the bits of fabric and handing them to me. While I was sorting, I was putting fabrics on the wall. This is how my new work emerges. Chore . #3: While you are sorting, TOSS the horrible ones. This was easy. Trust me, there were some real dogs in there. They are woofing away in big black garbage bags. #4: Make a "Can this fabric be saved?" pile and send them to rehab. This, too, was easy. I have a container overflowing with fabric that needs therapyI will not bore you with another picture. Tomorrow, Helene and I are going to see the Rauschenberg exhibit at the Met -- a much needed detour from the path Mrs. Closet has set me on. And then, I can continue the cure over the weekend ahead. Stay tuned.

7 comments:

gabrielle said...

Wow! What a difference already. You will be so happy you did this once you get over the pain. Now the key is to keep it that way....ah a test of the will.

cfent said...

send mrs c down here please!!!

lizzieb said...

what a major chore...I went through some of this not too long ago but ran out of room before I could finish...I know you will do better!
Liz

jenclair said...

Having someone else come in and tell you how to go about organizing may be the only way for some of us. But, euuuuuu, the ironing and sorting part!

Looks as if you've made a great start. Think of how proud you will feel when you're done!

Olga Norris said...

Feeling virtuous AND going to see the Rauschenberg! I would be on a high. I hope that you enjoyed the exhibition - I've just discovered that it will be coming to Europe at the end of this year.

Debra said...

I promised in November that I would remove all my fabric from it's bins, iron and resort, and replace.

So far... I've looked at the iron and the fabric..

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness I think she could come visit me some time too - I would be distracted while ironing and stopping to admire fabric and put it aside somewhere for that "special" project and then be sidetracked even more by then going away to look for more fabrics that complement it.

Kat
Oamaru NZ

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...