Sunday, January 08, 2006

happiness is...

...a pile of Helene Davis' hand-dyed fabrics. What could be more yummy than a pile of her strips to choose from? Like being in a candy store, only better. I dumped a whole bin onto the table yesterday, thinking I would iron them. Instead, I am sewing some of them together and throwing them at the piece I have burgeoning on the wall. (do pieces burgeon?) I will eventually post a few pix of the piece in process. Meantime, here is something else yummy. Full of fiber and anti-oxidants. Seriously. Because it is pure dark chocolate. I got the recipe in an e-mail from the South Beach Diet and made it last night. Of course, I used luxurious, expensive Scharffen Berger chocolate from Whole Foods because I thought it would be more healthful. (yeah, right). But you can (and probably should) make this with plain old bittersweet (or semi-sweet) Bakers chocolate from the regular supermarket. Recipe follows - and it is a no-brainer. Eating the stuff is also a no-brainer.

Melt 12 squares of semi-sweet (or bittersweet) chocolate and add 1 cup of shelled pistachios. (the point is 12 oz. of choc. You could probably use a bag of chocolate chips, but it won't be as good for you as this is). Spread on waxed paper on cookie sheet and put in fridge till it hardens. Break into pieces and eat. I am writing this at 6:am Sunday. It is still pitch dark outside. Finished sleeping at 4 and now that I have spent 2 hours reading my e-mail, other people's blogs, and doing my own, I am going to make a pot of coffee and start the day. Maybe I can actually accomplish something. I will check in again later.

4 comments:

Lisa Call said...

How is this diet food? I'm not a diet person but I was thinking if chocolate could be on a diet then maybe that diet isn't so bad.

Yum! Thanks for the recipe - I have some yummy E1 Rey 70% cocoa dark chocolate from whole foods in need of a recipe.

Karoda said...

Over the holidays I made some white chocolate bark with pistachios and dried cranberries and it never ever hardened...sorta stated the consistency of a brownie...the recipe called for adding 1 tablespoon of oil to the melted chocolate...I wondered if that was the problem...but this looks delicious...uh, I mean nutritous

Rayna said...

I saw El Rey but since I had never heard of it, I bought the Scharffen Berger, which I like better than the Valharona (which I also bought). I always buy the one with the highest cocoa content.

Karoda - I think white choc. has enough oil - it is pure cocoa butter -- try it without the added oil next time. Sounds divine.

Lisa Call said...

El rey is not as good as valharona - hence the need to do something recipe like with it. I eat the valharona as is - yum yum.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...