Wednesday, January 11, 2006

today

...I was pretty productive. This morning, I deconstructed the piece I had sewn together and decided was not working. The pictures on the blog a few days ago looked great while the piece was in process, but by the time I had put it together something was wrong. It was too neat, there were too many seams, and it was divided too evenly into vertical thirds with too many horizontal lines. I didn't look like me -- or feel like mine. So, I am in the process of rearranging and editing to make it feel like my work. I am much happier with it. Here is a picture of it -- in process -- redux. Tonight I ironed and steamed a drop cloth that was on my batik table. I had painted it with whatever leftover dyes I had from another project. Rather haphazardly, I might add. Steamed & washed - it has some really nice bits.

Then again, nothing is perfect. I will probably go back into this section. But not tonight.Tonight, I was listening incredulously to the thunder. Who ever heard of a thunderstorm in January, in NEW JERSEY? It has stopped now, but sometimes I think the whole world is turning upside down.

6 comments:

mary m. said...

I know, I was sitting on my couch knitting with both huskies and they jumped up, frightened as all hell when that thunder clapped.

Lin said...

Your fabric pieces are incredible! Love all the various hues and colors and swirls!

tricia mckellar said...

Hi Rayna, I really like the red/orange cut up and recomposed piece! It works from first glance with the sort-of bigger, simpler elements in the lower right and the "busier" other quadrants. It also works as the viewer is drawn in--the stripey squares in the upper left and along the right side keep drawing my eye round the piece. Thanks for posting your work! :)
--Tricia McKellar

Pat's Place said...

A thunderstorm in January - reminding us that summer can't be that far away, right? I heard it, too, but it was off in the distance... We used to get thunder-snow in upstate PA occasionally, but this was just a plain old thunderstorm in our presently unseasonably WARM NJ January! By the way, your work is sumptuous, as always!

annabel said...

These are very beautiful bits of fabric. I think you're very courageous -but right -to cut up work and put it together again and it does look good.

laura said...

sending long distance hugs.