Wednesday, January 11, 2006

today

...I was pretty productive. This morning, I deconstructed the piece I had sewn together and decided was not working. The pictures on the blog a few days ago looked great while the piece was in process, but by the time I had put it together something was wrong. It was too neat, there were too many seams, and it was divided too evenly into vertical thirds with too many horizontal lines. I didn't look like me -- or feel like mine. So, I am in the process of rearranging and editing to make it feel like my work. I am much happier with it. Here is a picture of it -- in process -- redux. Tonight I ironed and steamed a drop cloth that was on my batik table. I had painted it with whatever leftover dyes I had from another project. Rather haphazardly, I might add. Steamed & washed - it has some really nice bits.

Then again, nothing is perfect. I will probably go back into this section. But not tonight.Tonight, I was listening incredulously to the thunder. Who ever heard of a thunderstorm in January, in NEW JERSEY? It has stopped now, but sometimes I think the whole world is turning upside down.

3 comments:

Lin said...

Your fabric pieces are incredible! Love all the various hues and colors and swirls!

Pat Dolan said...

A thunderstorm in January - reminding us that summer can't be that far away, right? I heard it, too, but it was off in the distance... We used to get thunder-snow in upstate PA occasionally, but this was just a plain old thunderstorm in our presently unseasonably WARM NJ January! By the way, your work is sumptuous, as always!

laura said...

sending long distance hugs.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...