Wednesday, January 04, 2006

week #48 drawing

"What is THIS?", you may ask. "AHA," I say, "This is a sketch."
But I cheated. I needed to put a drawing up and haven't had time to do one, so I found this one in my sketchbook from probably 1999 and it will have to do. I did this exercise in a free-form quilt design class and it had to do with seeing lines and patterns everywhere you look. I semed to have had a rather whimsical time with this slice from the Paris R.E.R map. You might want to try it yourself: cut out a slice of a visual and extend the lines any way you wish. Then what? Obviously, I have no idea, since I never did anything with it. If you have any ideas, let me know.

3 comments:

Liz Plummer said...

This is just the sort of thing my 13 year old son does all the time. He has a road map covering the floor of his room and he keeps adding bits to it and covering other bits up (all done from scratch, from a bit of a map which provided the impetus about 2 or 3 years ago!). You can't see his carpet! I showed him yours and he said 'add roads'!

MD said...

Now this is a brilliant idea! I love maps and so does my daughter who has a little book where she designs maps. I will show her this! Also I recognised Paris!!! LOL
Great idea!
MD

Frances said...

I have done exercises similar to this in embroidery design classes the idea being you use a cut out the shape you want your embroidery i.e. a square/rectangle etc. and chose an area, you then use the area as an embroidery design/pattern putting what ever you want in for the lines or shapes, if you can understand that I am realising it takes more than a comment space to explain,
as I have written this with your later post about quilting in mind I suppose the chosen area could be turned into a quilting (stitching) design/pattern,

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...