Wednesday, January 04, 2006

week #48 drawing

"What is THIS?", you may ask. "AHA," I say, "This is a sketch."
But I cheated. I needed to put a drawing up and haven't had time to do one, so I found this one in my sketchbook from probably 1999 and it will have to do. I did this exercise in a free-form quilt design class and it had to do with seeing lines and patterns everywhere you look. I semed to have had a rather whimsical time with this slice from the Paris R.E.R map. You might want to try it yourself: cut out a slice of a visual and extend the lines any way you wish. Then what? Obviously, I have no idea, since I never did anything with it. If you have any ideas, let me know.


Liz said...

This is just the sort of thing my 13 year old son does all the time. He has a road map covering the floor of his room and he keeps adding bits to it and covering other bits up (all done from scratch, from a bit of a map which provided the impetus about 2 or 3 years ago!). You can't see his carpet! I showed him yours and he said 'add roads'!

Marie-Dom said...

Now this is a brilliant idea! I love maps and so does my daughter who has a little book where she designs maps. I will show her this! Also I recognised Paris!!! LOL
Great idea!

Frances said...

I have done exercises similar to this in embroidery design classes the idea being you use a cut out the shape you want your embroidery i.e. a square/rectangle etc. and chose an area, you then use the area as an embroidery design/pattern putting what ever you want in for the lines or shapes, if you can understand that I am realising it takes more than a comment space to explain,
as I have written this with your later post about quilting in mind I suppose the chosen area could be turned into a quilting (stitching) design/pattern,