Monday, June 04, 2007

how I spent my evening

I've been wanting to do this for a very long time. Finally, tonight, without much forethought, I started slicing. The background is a small piece of Mountain Mist White Gold 100% cotton fusible batting. I don't generally fuse and even if I wanted to, all my fusibles are at the studio. It just seemed easier to iron the fabric to the batting, then free-motion sew it down. So that's what I did.

The point, of course, was to capture the essence of my woods without reproducing them. I haven't worked like this in 10 years and it felt good to get back to this pared-down method. I have many photos of my woods but not the original of this one; only the black and white version below. Is this the beginning of a series? Who knows? In any case, I am pleased with the way the piece above turned out and will let it sit on my wall till I decide what to do with it. In the meantime, it comforts me.

6 comments:

Denise Aumick said...

The clean starkness of this piece is very compelling. It kept making me look again and again.
Denise Aumick

Anonymous said...

I love the contrast of the two pieces. I love the black and white version.

Sandy said...

"Is this the beginning of a series? "

Oh I sure hope so- love the simplicity of this and it captures the woods and fence perfectly. Damn, all I see is sky up here in condo-land! Very nice...

Judy Rys said...

Oh, very nice! I feel like I know these woods. They could provide inspiration for many wonderful quilts. I love the simplicity of this piece, you really did capture the essence of the woods.

Anonymous said...

ok this is cryptic and brilliant at the same time! Susie

Anonymous said...

Rayna,

Can't help myself: (your)woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Woods and trees are appearing in my work too, but mostly inspired by poetry. Take care, Vivika

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...