Tuesday, February 19, 2008

hmmm...

You Are Bare Feet

Oh my goodness, could this have been more accurate? Anybody who has spent five minutes in my company or especially in my house, knows this is the truth.

My contractor has been on my case to put my shoes on, to no avail. Well, he DID warn me. I stepped on a nail the other day - but it didn't do any harm. The floor guy couldn't come yesterday so the electricians finished up. He is here now, putting down the oak floor in the kitchen. I will keep ironing and sorting fabric. Without shoes.

As I have been unearthing fabric pieces, I have come across some I had forgotten about that caught my eye. Here are just a couple. They are sooo different from one another, both in process, materials, and mood.

Do you find the same thing in your work? Pieces that are so different in every way that you couldn't possibly imagine you had made both of them if you didn't know you had?
It's always a surprise: sometimes a pleasant one, and other times, a "what was I thinking?" - which is, of course, an opportunity to go back in. I have a very heavy pile of those.

On another subject, if you participated in the discussion on this blog in 2007 on working in a series, watch your mail for the Spring 2008 SAQA Journal. It is being mailed out soon; the European SAQA members already have it.

Kitchen floor update for the record. It is beautiful, even in it unfinished state. And it smells delicious. Oops - there's the bare foot in the lower right. Glad I had my toes done. I SWEAR I took this picture this morning, before I even knew about this quiz.

I talked to Judy Carpenter a while ago and we're about neck-in-neck with our kitchen progress. Her electricians were there yesterday. too. But at least she escaped to do some printing, which is more than I can say. More tomorrow.

9 comments:

Nellie's Needles said...

hmmmm...I too am a barefoot girl.

Rayna said...

Nellie! How nice to find a kindred spirit in the shoe department. A barefoot Capricorn? Hmmm- there's more to you than meets the eye. LOL

Dale Anne Potter said...

I'm a barefoot Gemini!!!
Always loved barefeet since I was a kid.....

Deb Lacativa said...

I always USED to be a barefoot girl. Ever see islanders on TV climbing the cocoanut trees barefooted? That was me. Hot pavement or a dash through the snow to the mailbox. BUT!
Two years ago I got a pair of cushy, fluffy cheetah slippers for Christmas and my barefootin' days seem to be so over...

Fulvia said...

Love the top/first piece of archival fabric art, Rayna! Enjoy your new digs.

Fulvia from fulviastudio.com

Rachel said...

I'm clogs. Are you surprised? I'm a "perfect mesh of contradictions," and I should live in Europe. Maybe that's my problem, lol.

Judy said...

love to go barefoot, but my feet don't have the extra layer of cushion that they once had, and it can be a bit painful these days if I step the wrong way! I love barefeet on a cold tile floor in the summer, and bare feet on our heated bathroom tile in the winter! I am definitely a barefoot sewer, so have to wear shoes that i can slip off when I'm in my sewing room. LOL Like Dale Anne, I am also a Gemini, so maybe that has something to do with my confusion!!! LOL

xo

Judy Rys said...

I am also a "Bare Feet" person, although I can't walk barefoot anymore. Used to love it though!

Anonymous said...

Guess what, I am barefoot too. Taurus

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...