Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The great escape

This blog.  Other peoples' blogs.  When the mess in here becomes too great to cope with or I am too tired to concentrate on something, I retreat to the blog.  I just finished catching up on a few of my favorites that I have honestly been too busy to read.  Then, spent 30 seconds moving fabric from one pile to another.

I love this little corner of the printed piece. I bought some notions at an estate sale a few years ago and amongst the stuff was a piece of paper with all this writing - and calculations - on it.
I think somebody was figuring out fabric yardage and how much it would cost to make drapes or some such thing. Far be it from me not to make a screen from this ephemera. Fragments of peoples' lives...
I am so moved by these things.
Image uploads will be disabled for two hours due to maintenance at 5:00PM PDT Wednesday, Oct. 20th. Learn more 

I do not want to learn more.  I want to upload photos tomorrow night. At least they are warning us - but I am still grouchy.

My real problem is that I am out of peanut butter! How could this happen?  And cans of tuna fish!  Not that I was planning to eat them together, but they are drop-dead emergency food: you can't starve if you have these items in the pantry. Now we are going to starve. But wait!! I have tofu. And pasta. Oh, what a wonderful combination. Alas, I may have to go to the supermarket tomorrow.

I worked at home today and my new/old friend Linda came over to make a Thermofax screen. Then Marty and I went for a walk, during which I observed that many of the trees are bare because of all the rainstorms we have had.  This put off the second layer of driveway paving till tomorrow (the rainstorms, not the bare trees). 

It has gotten chilly and I have brought in my avocado plant, which does not like it here.It looks ok from a distance but someone is eating the leaves and I can't find out who it is.  The last time this happened, I washed the plant with soap and water and it was goodbye plant. Any bright ideas from you green thumbs out there?

I will try to blog tomorrow before Blogger goes blotto in the photo dep't.

7 comments:

wlstarn said...

You won't starve, you have TAHINI!

Del said...

On this cool, wet day I went to a Bored mtg in So Orange Co and stopped at the 99Market on the way home to stock up on Miso soup supplies. As you have said, it is great when one is suffering from bronchitis - maybe it will be the cure in the next few days so I won't be sick when I go to the Visions opening this weekend. I've had this too long to be contagious. Wish you were here! D

Quiet Quilter said...

Thanks for the info on Blogger....

Eva said...

I wonder if this was intentional -- the writing reminds me of notes on a blackboard, back in school. Very inspiring.

Judy said...

I love finding such notes also! I once bought an old treadle machine with all sorts of notes in one of the drawers. I felt like I was stepping back in time and into someone else's life. I hope they know how much I love their treadle...and now I will go look for the cherished notes and start screening them!
Yup: I think that little message from Blogger put you in about the same mood as it did when I read it! How insensitive of him (he's got to be a him!)

xo

Gisela Towner said...

Don't know about the avocado. I put one outside in late spring and caught a squirrel going at it. He ripped the plant out of the pot, off of the seed and made off with what I'm sure he thought was the mother-of-all-acorns...

Nina Marie said...

I too find blogs (and peanut butter for that matter) an escape. Its amazing how much I've gleaned from them over the last couple of years. Also my blog is a way to keep me motivated - can't post on my blog unless I've actually done something to post!!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...