Monday, April 10, 2006

Museum Monday

This morning, I loaded up my suitcase with fabric and screens and stuff and headed to the museum to meet Judy Langille, Diane Savona, and Rachel Cochran for a play day. Or a work day, however you chooose to look at it. We had all been at the Sedgwick opening (Judy won the Surface Deisgn award) and discussed the event and the art as we worked. By 2:00, I was toast and packed up, heading for Whole Foods where I managed to ring up a three figure bill in no time flat. 20% of it was for Scharffenberger 70% cocoa bittersweet chocolate -- seriously the best chocolate I have found to cook and bake with. And to eat. I tried a different brand that was half the price, and it was good. But it was not extraordinary. And I just hope that the fact of Scharffenberger's being bought by Hershey's will not kill it. I have my doubts.

Fast forward to tonight. My downstairs (print) studio is back to its normal condition. This is not news. The news is that I am able to accomplish anything at all in this mess. You can see that I have been screening over some fabric I had batik'd and discharged.

Here's a piece in the closet on the drying rack, which started out very orderly but didn't suit me, so I added another layer or two. God knows what it will look like tomorrow, after I steam and rinse it. And finally, in a complete departure, this piece below. I don't remember what it looked like before except I hated it. I had batik'd it and then I overdyed it. Today I discharged on it - a first layer. Now I have to think about what else I want to do with this fabric. But I will think about it tomorrow.

5 comments:

Rayna said...

It's actually a screen, Mary. Somebody else owns the tjap - boo hoo -- and she doesn't remember where she got it. I borrowed it and made a screen, which is the next best thing.

Judy said...

Rayna, will we be doing screening at Campbell. Well, let me rephrase that: will you please teach some silk screening at Campbell. Thank you!!
Loved the "q-tips" piece!!

Deb R said...

I did a double-take when I read this subject line. At first glance I thought it said "Mausoleum Monday". Erk. "Museum Monday" is much better!

Karoda said...

oooooo, I love the top 2 fabrics you printed...you have just got to come to Kentucky! I know I'm not the only one in this state that is dyeing for a workshop with you.

Gerrie said...

Super work, as usual. My drug of choice is the 70% Scharffenbergers! My best quilty friends and I toured their factory in Berkeley last year and had lunch at the cafe. They have some interesting dishes that have chocolate as an ingredient! When you come to Claremont next year, we should plan a field trip!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...