Wednesday, April 26, 2006

treats in my e-mail

Mid-afternoon is always the low point of my day (as it is for most people). I've been doing paperwork all day - so I was delighted to be perked-up by a couple of gorgeous pix that came floating into my mailbox! I asked the artist, Vicki Jensen, if I could post them on my blog. Here is one, followed by a detail. Yummy. I will be teaching my famous soy wax "Easy as Pie Batik" workshop at ProChem in Fall River, MA from July 21-23. Vicki is ProChem's dyer-teacher-technical expert extraordinaire. After a couple of tutorials by e-mail, she has been playing with the soy wax that we will be using -- and I have to admit I was blown away by these stunning examples! Here is one I wish I had done. So, if you want to spend 3 days playing, experimenting, and having a wonderful time discovering how easy it is to do batik with non-toxic vegetable-based wax that just floats down the drain, come and play with Vicki and me. This is the only time I'll be giving this workshop in the Northeast this year. Check http://www.prochemical.com for details. One more e-mail treat I forgot to mention: I received an e-mail saying that my piece, "Time and Again" which was the on the postcard for the SPUN:Small Art Quilts exhibit opening April 29, was awarded first place in the show. Gee, and I didn't even know they were giving out awards. I was very diligent doing paperwork all day. Tomorrow - a day off! I am going back to Philadelphia with a few friends and we're going to Snyderman-Works to see (again, for me) the fabulous fiber exhibit. Then, lunch. I won't even think about the $3/gal price it will cost me to drive the 180 mile round trip. OUCH.

8 comments:

lizzieb said...

well, congratulations on the award! Well done! Wish I lived closer and could come play at ProChem!

Olga Norris said...

Congratulations on your award. I hope you enjoy the trip - and just think, it is $6.64/gallon here in the UK!

Gerrie said...

Congrats on the well deserved award, Rayna. Isn't it just so much sweeter when it comes out of the blue like that?

Shirley Goodwin said...

I was visiting ProChem's site as they are my supplier, and saw your name plastered everywhere, you famous person you!ilurdv

Micki said...

Congrats on the award. Those pieces are absolutely beautiful.

Deb Hardman said...

Wow, isn't it fun to be awarded something when you weren't even aware it was a possiblity? I had that expierience with my Aussie Challenge quilt. It looks like you had a fun day in Philly.
I wish I were going to your class at Prochem. The next time we visit our family in New Bedford & Fall River, I'd like to plan it around your workshop. Any chance you might do it again next year?

Elle said...

Congrats!!

Sonji Hunt said...

Congrats on the SPUN award! I'm with Liz, the batik class sounds like a lot of fun. People who live close by better possey up for that class!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...