Saturday, October 23, 2010

a code in my doze

Sniff, sniff. Achoo.  But my tea just has tea in it - no whiskey, cloves, cinnamon, or lemon because I am not that sick. yet.  Made some chicken salad for tomorrow's company lunch (Silver Palate cookbook - not just ANY chicken salad) but too tired to bake, which gives you an idea of how I feel.

Tomorrow, Marty's two favorite girl cousins are coming to visit.(I use the word "girl" lightly because they haven't been girls since he was a boy.)  Funny word, that.  I refer to my daughters as "the girls" even they are adult women.  And my grandmother referred to her friends as "the girls" even when they were all in their late eighties.  OTOH - we refer to Marty's middle-aged sons as "the boys," so at least we can't be accused of gender discrimination. Do you find yourself doing the same thing? Referring to your grown kids the girls or the boys, or your female friends as "the girls"? I suppose male friends become "the guys."

Where was I going with this?  Nowhere, fast. 

Today, I taught "Can this Fabric Be Saved?"  Eight people in the class, only two of whom were experienced.  I mostly forgot to take pictures of the"befores" but here is one that Barbie brought
 and here is what it looked like by the time she was finished with it. (the spool stampings are blue, which don't show that way in this picture.
 The results were pretty dramatic in almost everybody's case.  Here, some "afters."  Debbie is changing the look of a boring, beige calico.

Trust me, these were UGLY before May got out her fly swatter, stamp, and paint.

Linda did a good job of covering up what was underneath on the front fabric and we'll see where it goes.

The yellow was the original color of Rosetta's fabric - aren't the stripes neat?

It doesn't take much to figure out who did THIS piece of fabric.

As usual, happiest with my demo cloth. Needs more black and a different scale.
Seven out of a trad quilt guild with 150 members...less than 5% - but there is hope!  This guild is down from 200 members and needs to attract younger, more energetic, forward-looking new members. So in a moment of insanity, I offered to rejoin the guild and facilitate a contemporary quilt sub-group if they get going and offer one.  Plus, one of the people in the class offered to host an informal group in her home for other people in the class who are interested in moving in that direction.

And since it is almost 11 pm on the east coast, I am moving in the direction of upstairs.

7 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

ooh! Keep sipping that tea Rayna! grab the claritin, don't leave it for a second... ;-)

Well, that is a nice size class though! more attention for sure! You rejoined! ;-) hehehe!

(I like the flyswatter print! very cool)

Unknown said...

okay, just grabbed the fly swatter from the patio to add to the box of textured items for printing. great idea. Nice size class and do take a bit of rest so that the sniffles don't turn into something really nasty. Hugs.

Sue Erdreich said...

Did you really rejoin? I wish I could have been there to see that!

I'll save you a seat at the board meetings if the new sub-group gets going. :)

Sue E.

Cindy Cooksey said...

Amazing transformations! I am inspired.

Eva said...

Great printing! Well, I would have taken the dreadful red paisley with gratitude...
Hope you will fight the cold successfully.

Judy said...

Hope you and Marty had a nice visit with the girls today. We call our daughter and son-in-law 'the kids', but don't know if that will change once their 'kid' arrives on the scene.
Your class results looked good and I agree: that is a great size if you are a student and Rayna is the teacher! Our local quilt guild is very traditional and b-o-r-i-n-g! Hope yours gets some new blood!
Take care of yourself and hope you are feeling better when you read this.

xo

Libby Fife said...

Hey, I think that is the future of guilds that want to stay viable. I hope it goes well:)

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...