Monday, October 25, 2010

draft

As I was going through my past posts (waiting for the plumber - AGAIN - different problem today - don't ask) I spotted a draft I started writing in February(!) and apparently never posted.  It seems appropos in my life right now, so I am actually going to do this and figured it was worth posting, just in case you need the same advice.

1. Ninety days
Choose something that you would like to accomplish or change within the next 90 days.
It's a more manageable length of time than a year and then you can do it again.
2. What to subtract
What is in your life that you would be willing to commit to not being there 90 days from
now? (ha, I could think of a whole list but I can't get rid of any of them)
3. What to add
What is currently not in your life that you would be willilng to commit to having in your life 90 days from now? (that's easy!)
4. Choose one
Whether it is something to remove from or add to you life, pick just one thing to focus on.
5. Write it down
There is power in writing things down because it reminds you of where you want to go.


Meantime, I have spent most of today on the phone with the appliance warranty people.  This is the room directly below my kitchen.


I will not go into details, which are too aggravating and boring to recount, but cheesh - could it get any more time-consuming?    I think I'll go make that 90 day list now...FWIW.

5 comments:

Linda Branch Dunn said...

I spent the morning at the laundromat doing 4 loads of laundry, then Home Depot picking out the next washing machine. Whatever did the damage in your kitchen, you have my profound sympathies.

Eva said...

I believe in the 90-days-rule, it is ancient Chinese wisdom. They say:
1. every action that you carry out every day for 90 days will become a life-long habit.
2. every action will have a result after 90 days; like e.g. making a diet mistake results in feeling sick after 90 days.
I had a distinct evidence for this rule recently.

Quiet Quilter said...

Nothing can make you feel more helpless than a water leak, no matter what the source....Hope the source dries up soon and you get things fixed before the 90 days are up..

Anonymous said...

I think there's more profound wisdom in your ninety-day deadline than you give yourself credit for. Most people aim too low (and never get past their daily ToDo List), or too high (and watch their hoped-for change forever receding before them like a mirage on a hot summer highway). Ninety-days seems long enough to tackle real problems, and short enough to actually accomplish before other distractions sap your energy and resolve.
--Yr Fav Santa Crustacean

Margaret Cooter said...

ok, I did it, wrote down the 90-day goal - to have a solid studio practice. (There - just wrote it down a second time!) Thanks for the little push...

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...