Sunday, December 20, 2009

after the snow

Looks good enough to eat, doesn't it? This is what greeted me this morning when I walked into the kitchen. Probably about a foot, but I didn't go out to measure. Instead, I grabbed the broom and went out the front door to clean off the cars as well as I could. The men with the shovels were working their way up the street and I wanted to get the snow off the cars before they got to our driveway so they could take it away. Mostly, I succeeded. Alas, I could not go out in my Birks this morning, or even my shearling clogs - the snow was too deep. Yes...I put on my boots to retrieve the newspapers and to traipse around on the as-yet unshoveled driveway, cleaning off the cars before breakfast. And what was breakfast this morning? Miso soup! I had made some yesterday and eaten it late last night while I was blogging. Then I read that in Japan, people eat it for breakfast. Of course, that makes sense: it is hot and full of protein, between the miso and the tofu and the seaweed. So, after coming back inside it seemed logical to do the same. When Marty came down, I had to make another batch for him. We love miso soup and it is the easiest thing in the world to make. Just for good measure, my favorite scene in all the world - the first of my annual pictures of my woods in snow. Now I am going back to those minimalist blocks to see if I can make them my own. This should amuse me for an hour or two -- and will put off the inevitable bill-paying marathon that awaits me. I will weigh in later.

7 comments:

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

Yum Miso soup on a snowy morning.

Tiggy Rawling said...

Brr....looks like a giant iced cake on the table. We're very cold in southern England. The east and north have a fair covering of snow. A thought, we often get your snowstorms two weeks on. Better make sure the cupboard is full Keep warm. All best wishes for the festive season and 2010.

Terry Grant said...

Seems like all the Eastern bloggers are taking pictures of their patio/deck furniture covered with snow! Funny. Yours is about the 4th one I've seen this morning, yours may be the most pristine and beautifully formed. It does look like one of those cookies with the marshmallow puffed on the top. Much prettier than our dark, drizzly rain.

Eva said...

This Miso soup is so attractive! Love it.
Recently, H (our Japanese relative) made sushi for me, and I was amazed to see a flat wooden bowl with chopped vegetables, rice, mushroom stripes and gari together. She explained to me that sushi doesn't necessarily need fish nor to make rolls out of it. What matters is cold rice with vinegar and vegetables.

jan said...

I've never made miso soup, but it looks wonderful. Could you point me in the direction of an easy recipe? Love your blog and your art.

Gerrie said...

I think miso soup is one of the most healing things you can eat. Hadn't thought about it for breakfast.

I have a photo like that on my deck take a year ago - LOL - glad it is in your back yard and not mine.

Judy said...

MMMMMMMMM: Miso Soup! I can almost taste it! Great idea to enjoy it for breakfast!

xo

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...