Wednesday, December 16, 2009

UFO sightings

In my sewing room this afternoon. Rachel and I had a play day but this time, instead of deconstructing with screens, we deconstructed a couple of UFOs Rachel unearthed and decided it was TIME.
She came armed with several candidates and we selected two of them to see whether they were salvageable. One was from 1987. We had a few "what was I thinking???" chuckles and then Rachel got out the rotary cutter and got to work on her gray and gray and gray piece. Actually, there were some tiny pink flowers in one of the fabrics, but who can tell? Here she is, working on round one.
By the end of the afternoon, Rachel had decided this thing had to be totally cut up, added to, and put back together with some of her own fabrics. So, after this audition, she gathered everything into a bag and promised to do something with it after she finishes the quilt she's working on now. No matter what, it has to be more interesting than what she started with, don't you think? When she showed me the other candidate for reinvention, I couldn't resist asking if I could have one of the blocks to see what I could do with it. So she took it apart. and we have this challenge: she took a block, I took one, and we'll see how each of these now-identical blocks ends up. No dyeing, no painting, just cutting and sewing. Hmmm... I am having trouble restraining myself but it's late, so I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow...

7 comments:

Eva said...

Grey will be grey, whatever you do with it. Expept overdyeing. Imagine how great this cut-and-resewn piece would look with deep purples and greens instead of the greys.

c.c. said...

i did the very thing that you are challenging yourself to do to the second quilt. it was a mystery i tried at a retreat. there were several mistakes and by the time we figured it out i was disgusted and not interested in it any more. severeal years later the very person that designed the mystery was a guest at our guild so i thougt it would be funny to finish the quilt but not in the way she intended. i cut it apart and added some interesting fabrics, or so i thought. when i showed it at show and tell she was not amused at all. i didn't even mention that the mystery had mistakes in it and that was what started me on this reconstructing mission.

Unknown said...

Ah, but GREY! What a wonderful thing to work with....you can do so much with it. I love working with Grey--others which can be very dynamic are black and white....and yes, I think you CAN do dynamic things with grey. Can't wait to see what yours comes out like!

Debra Dixon said...

to c.c.--some people don't have a sense of humor!

I like the gray withe the brighter colors--nice bit of yin and yang--place to stop and take a rest before viewing the bright.

Unknown said...

That will be a fun challenge... the colors are lovely, too.

Dianne Koppisch Hricko said...

I actually love grey, for me it was the regularity of the squares that held this back. Also if it is publishable what does UFO stand for in the quilt world?

Anonymous said...

I am the sort of hombre who passions to seek hot things. Right now I'm fabricating my hold pv panels. I am managing it all alone without the help of my men. I'm utilizing the internet as the only path to acheive that. I came across a really awesome site which explains how to create pv panels and wind generators. The site explains all the steps involved in solar panel construction.

I'm not exactly sure about how correct the data given there iz. If some people over here who had experience with these things can have a peak and give your feedback in the thread it would be grand and I'd really value it, because I extremely take an interest in [URL=http://solar-panel-construction.com]solar panel construction[/URL].

Tnx for reading this. You guys rock.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...