Tuesday, December 15, 2009

ironing is better than drugs

Aaaah - I am so calm from ironing today that I can hardly stand it. This morning, I ironed sheets. When is the last time you ironed sheets? My mother sent linens to the laundry in the 1950's, but I do remember her ironing pillow cases. Maybe she only sent the sheets and tablecloths. Anyway -- I bought these wonderful 4 zillion thread-count,100% cotton Calvin Klein Sateen King Size sheets, etc. for a bargain price: two sets= a double bargain. The only thing is that they come out of the dryer more wrinkled than raisins. And I especially HATE wrinkled pillow cases. So before breakfast, I ironed the pillow cases and sort of touched up one sheet, which I had to put on the floor to do. Truly enjoyable way to start the day. Then the plumbers came. They fixed the problem (I think) and left. They will send a bill, by which time I will know whether the leak is truly fixed. We'll skip the dreary afternoon and fast forward to this evening, when I went back to ironing. This time, I was sorting and ironing strips of fabric in an effort to tame my overflowing bins. What a joy! Not only are the strips gorgeous and vibrant, they are organized! Ms. Closet will be very proud of me...despite the remaining threads on my design wall. I also threw all my spare blocks into a box. Better, now that they are not all over the cutting table. So now everything is neat and clean till tomorrow and maybe I can get started with a couple of ideas. Working at home this week. 'nite.

13 comments:

Eva said...

Eye candy, those fabrics!
-- Ironing seems to be some kind of drug, it made my Grandma talkative, and she reported long chronics to me while unwrinkling the family's bedcloth. She really got into some kind of story telling trance. The effect of steaming potato starch should be considered.

queenopearls said...

Happy Chanukah Rayna!

Taming the raisin sheets... too funny!

Yes, I too find ironing very calming... zen. After ironing my pillow cases I make myself NOT iron the edges of my sheets when they pull up like folding fans.

A book: Zen and the Art of Ironing and Sewing for therapy. Works for me.

Congratulations on finding the sheets and enjoying all your beautiful fabric!

~Christina

Sujatha said...

Lovely fabrics, Rayna! I love ironing too...it really soothes me ..and I am so glad to find someone else who cant stand un-ironed pillows...YAY!!!And where oh WHERE did you find those deals on the sheets???

Linda Branch Dunn said...

When I was little - late 50s - my dad and I did errands every Saturday morning: the bakery, the pharmacy, then the laundry, to drop off/pickup the sheets. Imagine: pressed, clean sheets every Saturday night.

Now beds get changed whenever, and since the dryer went democrat, I hang the sheets on the stair railings to dry. O tempores! o mores!

kathy said...

Happy Chanukah to you, Rayna! ...More wrinkled than raisins...I don't think I've ever heard that expression before. lol

GerryART said...

Pressing your leftovers, what better time for insiration for new projects.

Debra Dixon said...

What is it about ironing? It is soothing--you can immediately see the results!

Unknown said...

I'm insane- I LOVE to iron. I love everything about it... the repetitive motion that's so hypnotic, the aroma of heat and cotton, the way the warmth radiates back up at me. Like I said, I'm insane, I know. LOL

Cate Rose said...

I thought you were going to say you bought the sheets to use for dyeing, etc! Probably cheaper than sateen by the yard!

Happy Chanukah!! XO

Diane Cransac said...

I ironed today also, but I was ironing velvet. Somehow I don't think it was quite as calming as your experience *grin*

Sue Erdreich said...

I have always found ironing to be relaxing. Glad I'm not the only one :)

Margaret Cooter said...

Gotta agree with that ... nothing more relaxing than nice flat ironing, some cheery music in the background ... the cares of the world fall away ...

Judy said...

I think you might need to make an appt and talk to somebody about this ironing fetish! LOL or perhaps you should drop by my house and help me with my ironing, which I detest....but then Mr Wonderful does most of it, so never mind!

xo

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...