Tuesday, December 22, 2009

life is what happens...

when you're making other plans. I think that's the expression. I was going to do studio work today. But no-o. At 7:30 am, husband calls from the supermarket (stopped to buy fruit for lunch en route to the office) to tell me he doesn't have his wallet. No, it is not on his night table or the desk. It is not in his jacket pockets. It is not on the driveway or on the sidewalk outside our house. It is not in his car or anywhere in the Shop-Rite parking lot. Or in the aisle near the fruit. After multiple phone calls back and forth, he comes home to call the credit card companies, DMV, and Medicare. "Did you have it this morning?", I ask. "Could you have left it in something you wore yesterday?" So, into the closet he goes - and there it is, in the buttoned back pocket of his corduroy pants. Two big sighs of relief. The supermarket employee had paid for his fruit and he called to tell her he would be by tomorrow to give it back to her. But by the end of this ordeal, he was so exhausted that he took the rest of the day off. That meant he had time to go to the V.A. office in Newark, which meant that I had to take him because he is not driving on highways these days. Then I got an e-mail from my nephew Oliver, who is back in NJ for 2 days before he departs for Fla, San Francisco,and back to India, where he has been for a year, making art, being spiritual, and having adventures. Could I come at 3:00,pick up the book he had signed for me and bring his mother the book I had signed for her? So, between noon and 2:45, I finally had a chance to work. I auditioned a few other fabrics, switched the layout several times, and have now sewed together a few pieces that I'm sure about. Tomorrow, I'd like to finish it and move on. The days will be a switcheroo: Jessica's father has volunteered to schlep to Brooklyn and bring her to my house, so that frees me and maybe will make up for the loss of today. If you want the miso soup recipe, let me know and I'll send it. If enough people want it, I'll post it. Till tomorrow...

6 comments:

Eva said...

This guy is a guru. In the world to make beings happy. Look at your radiant smile! My deepest admiration for his art, too.
Yes, I'd love to read the miso soup recipe. I just wonder where to get the green seaweed from.

Del said...

Yes to the miso soup recipe.
Why is your blog now all underlined?
When I was so sick last week I returned home from the doctor's office and was trying to get to LBeach and my sick bed, I spent an hour looking for my keys. Finally I sat down and thought things through again and then pulled them out of the keyhole in the door from garage to house! It was all so exhausting I almost crawled back into my own bed! And I wonder what happened to my brain along the years! My understanding and sympathy to your spouse!

Anonymous said...

Of course, everyone wants the miso soup, they are just too polite to ask. So instead of sending bowls of soup in the mail, please post the recipe.
:Diane

Linda Branch Dunn said...

Another yes to Miso soup. I'd love to have that for breakfast, especially if the recipe comes from you.

Once at college I lost my meal card as I was leaving for dinner. Searched all the pockets in my huge winter coat, got out my keys and went to unlock my door. Voila: the card was in my mouth. Honest.

Debra Dixon said...

More and more lately I am making designated spots to leave items and making sure that they are left there. I have gone out too many times without something & been all the way to town before I remembered.

It is putting new meaning to my mom always saying, "You would leave your head behind if it wasn't hooked to your body!" which really wasn't true until lately!

But, it is so maddening to "lose" something you take for granted will be in your pocket or purse.

Aussie Jo said...

I too lose lots of things, but I tell myself it's because I am soooo busy, not getting old.
Thankyou for the miso soup recipe, your nephew is looking a little Errol Flynn there, Happy xmas!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...