Thursday, March 16, 2006

This fabric is not yet steamed/washed, but it is ironed. Ironed with my American Beauty, immediately after which, I burned myself and dropped the iron. Blister on my right pinky and a somewhat askew handle which I am sure I can put back where it belongs. Fortunately, it missed my bare feet. In the meantime, I purchased another one of these irons on e-bay -- one with an amber handle. Now I am done. These babies get about 10 times hotter than any modern iron. Ouch. It is impossible to ever duplicate a piece of fabric -- at least for me. But it is possible to replicate the feeling of a previous piece, which is what I was trying to do with this one. I think I have been successful, as it makes me feel rather calm. On another subject - Studio Six met here today - or at least some of us. We spent the first hour discussing the vicissitudes of life and making ourselves feel better with tea and Irish soda bread. Between morning tea and lunchtime, we talked about surface design and looked at the results of our museum play day from last week, as well some nearly finished pieces of work. Randy has just discovered Thermofax screens and is a happy camper. She showed up with pots of pansies for each of us --a welcome patch of spring, just as we are bracing for snow showers tomorrow. Well, it has to warm up eventually...

7 comments:

Dale Anne Potter said...

Another GORGEOUS fabric piece there Rayna!!!
LOVE IT - LOVE IT!
Can someone just give me more time so I do everything on my list and play also???

Karoda said...

Rayna, I think of your work whenever I drive by every neighborhood (we still have a few of them) hardware store and the 2nd hand stores. You inspire me to look for items to stamp with :) I've given in a few times but since I'm not yet set up to learn the wax stamping, I've managed to resist buying anything.

jenclair said...

This is one of my favorites! Have I said that before? Well, really, this is so beautiful, it is now in the #1 spot.

Hope your burn is better and that the handle is back where it belongs.

cfent said...

wow rayan!
this is the coolest piece you've done....obviulsy not literally....

Liz Plummer said...

That fabric just jumped out of the screen at me, Rayna! Love it!

Hope your burn's better soon. I managed to gouge my finger
doing a linocut. Oh well, no pain, no gain and all that...

Anonymous said...

Rayna! That piece of cloth is my favorite so far! Awesome work.

Frances said...

Rayna this fabric is soooo gorgeous, take care with those hot heavy irons, I found a heavy flat iron in my shed I am thinking of cleaning it up for use on the rayburn, you're encouraging me, Frances who has still not discovered Thermofax screens but wants to,

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...