Monday, March 20, 2006

untitled

That is my least favorite title for a piece. Untitled, for goodness sakes! Untitled?? Now I am the first to admit that titles are dicey: there are two schools of thought (or more) on titles. 1) they should convey what the artist had in mind. 2) they should relate to the content of the piece. 3) they need have no relation whatever to the content of the piece. *of course#3 is easy when there IS no content. Then again, who determines whether there is content? And need there be such a thing? Let's pretend that the above image is a finished piece and needs a name. Shall it remain "Untitled #72"? Or does it deserve better? I screen printed this piece with thickened dyes this afternoon and this is before I washed it. I haven't done this in a while and had forgotten how much I love seeing the change in the image as the dye comes out of the screen. I was remembering while I was working, that this is the process where I discovered TEXTURE.

You'll have to hang on a little longer: all this printing has worn me out, not to mention the more than hour I spent at the supermarket this moring - which is really what did me in. So, I am off to bed at the ungodly hour of slightly after 10 pm, right coast time. Do not believe the propaganda you hear about this being the first day of spring. I shall post some pix tomorrow, after I have had my hair cut. I look like an overgrown tree and can hardly see through the foliage in front of my eyes.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

I was introduced to "Art & Fear - the Perils and Rewards of Art Making" through a lecture by quiltmaker Judy Dales at the Symposium in Christchurch in 2003. It made a big impression on me so I am looking forward to see the next instalment!

Lin said...

I LOVE this piece, Rayna! The colors and the design !!!

cfent said...

rayna...they keep gettgin better and better....i don't know how that's possible!! this last one is the river..... off to the day job

Cathy said...

I really like this piece. I must learn how to screen print, this seems to be the technique for the pieces I like the most.

Debra said...

Rayna,

I'm hoping that this technique will be part of the class at AQC next spring.

And calling the piece "untitled #72".. is really wonderful. it made me to imagine what the 71 in front of it looked like.. like "untitled, the series"...

Wolf said...

It reminds me of people standing in line for something.}:P

gabrielle said...

Rayna, name the darn thing. Somehow I feel like untitled is like calling your kids child number 1....but then Charle Chan got away with it. Thanks for the heads up on Ted's new book.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...