Friday, March 31, 2006

ars longa...vita brevis

Hippocrates said it first. Art is long but life is short. What did he mean? Art outlives us all? Or,life is short, we'd better get busy making art? Or, it takes a whole lifetime to learn the art of whatever it is we do. Maybe all of the above. Or none of the above. In any case, I am off to help people make art this weekend. Tonight I overprinted on a piece of something I wasn't happy with(of course, now I am happy with it) and have cut it into small pieces. Everybody in my "Jump-starting Your Next Quilt" will get a morsel as a challenge and I can't wait to see what they each do with it in the time allotted. What fun! I'm thinking I should have a blog challenge one of these days soon: send off a swatch of something I've printed and see how you use it in a small piece. Then, I could post all the pictures here so everybody could see. Any takers? Of course, this is predicated on my having some piece of fabric that I can bear to part with. I am taking my knitting, my laptop, 2 quilts that need facings sewn down, and The View from the Studio Door, my reading of which keeps getting interrupted by LIFE. It is getting on to 11:pm on the Right Coast and I seem to be getting my second wind. Finished the rest of the Haagen Dazs - that must be responsible for my energy surge. Added pistachios tonight, along with the fresh ginger and cardamom. Protein. I was reading Red Shoe Ramblings earlier today - sorry that Deb Richardson doesn't feel well and hope she's better soon. I see that her Myers-Briggs is an INFP, which is the same as mine. Well, no two are really the same because it depends on your scores and the strengths of your preferences. I have just finished giving the MBTI to a client I am working with in his job search. Before I became a full-time artist, I spent a decade as a career transition counselor. I am working with this client as a big favor, because I really don't want to do this any more but he needs my help badly and I could not say no. Anyway, the first thing I do with a new client is give the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator because it helps me know how I should work with the person and it gives a good indication of their strengths, what kind of work environment they would be happy in, and a tremendous amount of other information. Years ago, I did a highly anectodal and unscientific survey of quilters and discovered that many of them are introverts, many were in medical, library,scientific or computer professions, and I forget what else. Vedddy interesting -- and an eye-opener. Depending on their type, I could describe pretty well what their studios looked like, how they liked to work, and was pretty right-on about the types of quilts they made. Fascinating stuff. But enough - I have to go pack up my little pieces of fabric. I will pack my suitcase in the morning: Chico's to the rescue! Black, black, and black. And they all match.

12 comments:

Dale Anne Potter said...

Well - let me be the first to say YES, Rayna, I'll gladly take you up on the challenge.
It might force me to do some of my own surface design that I have been putting off for awhile!

Anonymous said...

I need a challenge like i need a hole in the head, but I couldn't possibly pass up the chance to work with some Rayna Gilman fabric!

Judy said...

The challenge would definitely be just that, but what a fun idea. If you ever do it, count me in!!

Judy, the introverted and retired nurse...you are right on (but that doesn't surprise me!)

jenclair said...

Yes, please! I'd love to take part in this challenge.

The information about quilters is very interesting and would make such wonderful statistical analysis.

Joanne S said...

Yes, please! I would love to participate.

Anonymous said...

ROFL.....nice try, Rayna, but I think the challenge only works if you also make something from a piece of OUR fabric!

Vicki said...

Rayna, I would love to be part of the challenge! Count me in!

Terry Grant said...

Count me in on the challenge. Send me a piece of your fabric to create with and I will send you, uhhhhh, well, I'll send you something!

Terry

artmixter said...

I'll play, too, Rayna...pretty please?

I'm an INFP also...wonder how many of us are... and used to work with people who were changing careers... jings...wonder what else we have in common??

Deborah Boschert said...

Me too! Me too!

Jen said...

Depending on the time frame, I'd love to do this. Jen

Anonymous said...

Good grief. I think the majority of INFP's are creative. So many people have trouble believing I am INFP because I am a chatterbox....that's called *nerves.* I still prefer solitude to company and always will. Yes, there are times I like to be with people.....but only ones I have something in common with....like fiber artists and quilters.

teri

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...