Monday, March 13, 2006

I failed 8th grade math

No kidding. I didn't have to take the math quiz on Debra R's blog to know that. I managed to guess 3 out of 10, but don't have a clue about the other 7 questions and ran screaming from the room. Words & images, dears. Not numbers. Not ever. In real life, I had to be tutored through 8th grade algebra, 9th grade algebra, and 10th grade geometry. Fortunately, that fulfilled my h.s. math requirements. And double thanks that Mount Holyoke College did not require a math course to graduate. I'd still be there. I am serious. Bad enough that you had to pass a swimming test to get a college diploma; I flunked floating and had to take the test again. Enough tales of woe for this evening.

8 comments:

cfent said...

hm math. had a math tutor from 8th on .... till he went to vietnam. that is why god made calculators.
and swimming to graduate???
that i could have passed!

Rayna said...

Mary, I will try not to be offended by your thinking I come from Brooklyn. YOu must have me confused with my husband, who does.
I can hardly find the place by myself.

Gerrie said...

I guessed and managed to get 7 out of town - but it was purely guessing. I hate math!!!! I am married to a mathemetician - I let him take care of tha part of our life.

jenclair said...

Measure 5 times, cut once - still likely to be wrong. A wiring flaw in the brain, no doubt. My dad, an engineer, was woefully disappointed in my math grades in school, but delighted that my world turns in spite of my lack of math ability.

Oh, and thanks for the tip about Peter Robinson, Rayna.

Debra said...

I flunked the swim test for college, too. Took the class, passed the class but never the swim test. (I was negatively bouyant at the time).

I was always bad at math classes, but good at math tests. Blame it on being a test case for "new math"!

Elle said...

I was horrible in math in school that I was surprised I got 8/10 on this quiz, LOL. I don't care what teachers say, I have NEVER used algebra in my daily life since, LOL!

Shirley Goodwin said...

I can do the math test no problem, but I don't swim - a pain, considering I have the build of a long-distance swimmer! And plenty of built-in flotation (ahem!). I prefer to just look at water, not get into it, so I have a great sea view here.

Shirley in New Zealand

Joanne S said...

I got seven and I was really trying!!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...