Friday, March 03, 2006

my day at the quilt show

So here is Usha. I got to the show about 11 this morning. I was only going to stay for an hour, but ended up staying for 3 hours. Big surprise,huh? My first stop was Handloom Batik, where I hung out far too long.Usha was helping a customer, but posed when I clicked the camera. Her booth was so crowded that I hardly was able to get a picture, and didn't get a shot of the yummy fabrics spread out like a technicolor dreamcoat on the table under her hands. We were soooo happy to see each other. On the table behind her, she had a bunch of wood stamps and all kinds of new goodies she hasn't had before. I did get one shot of one shelf of fabric, but it doesn't really do justice to what is packed into the booth, which isn't that big. Liza Lucy came by and bought some fabulous Indian embellishments. Last time I saw here was on the exhibit floor in Houston when we were both too harried to say more than "hello." I went shopping for Gerrie Congdon but didn't buy anything for myself, although I must admit I was sorely tempted. But by the time I finished making all those decisions for Gerrie, I was too tired to think. If I change my mind, Usha is vending at Brownstone Quilters show in Northern NJ on March 17-19. The really great news (Karoda, are you listening??) is that Handloom Batik will be vending in Paducah during the show. I forget where she will be, but I'll let you know. Between Helene Davis' Hand Dyes and Handloom Batik's batiks - LOL - you won't need any other fabric but your own. Speaking of Karoda (ha - now I know what the ro stands for, but I'm not telling) - what do you think I saw in a spot right near the entrance to the exhibit hall? This beauty...

My photo doesn't really do it justice and my camera was acting up today - I think the battery is tired. But here is a detail of the beading. Delicious. I ended up looking at the art quilts, all of which were in special exhibits but were, IMO, marred by the pipe part of pipe and drape. The smaller the quilt, the bigger the distortion. Ick. And I Ioitered around, going up and down the aisles looking for the lovely and talented Mary Manahan who finally found me at Usha's booth. I didn't want to leave till I saw Mary, so I gave her a hug and went home.

Usha told me that people who see my spontaneous strip quilt (the one with the black around it) in her booth, ask if she sells a kit for that. A KIT?

There were 60 other things in my head but I was up till 3:am last night doing batik with found objects. Haven't got anything to show you yet with the tjap but Monday is play day at Judy Langille's house, so I might use it then. We'll see.

8 comments:

Cathy said...

Rayna
Was that the Indelible Spirit challenge that Karoda'sa quilt was part of?
I love love love those batik's.

Cathy said...

Forgot to say.... that's the best picture yet that I've seen of her quilt

Rayna said...

Yes, Indelible Spirit that I think Annie curated. Nice exhibit.

The lighting, not to mention the distortion with those stupid fat dowels. Why can't they use FLAT rods with wires attached???

jenclair said...

Karoda's quilt looks fantastic!

Karoda said...

omg Rayna! I'M BUZZING! THANK YOU! THIS IS MY FIRST EXHIBITED QUILT YA KNOW!

I accidently sent the wrong photo to Anne and didn't discover it until I saw it on the website and its even worse on the online catalog where its larger. I could have died...but chalked it up as a live and learn...your photo is much clearer than the one I sent.

Gerrie said...

Wow! Loved seeing Karoda's quilt! And thanks for shopping for me. It is so nice to have my own personal fabric shopper!!

Frances said...

I love Karoda's quilt thanks for the photo, pleased you and Mary had a good day, I like the tjap in the previous post too, keep warm,

Debra Dixon said...

I can see why you love Usha's fabric! it looks gorgeous in the pics--hard to imagine it in real life!

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...