Monday, March 22, 2010

do I hear thunder???

So it seems.  A weird end to a grim and rainy - but relatively warm - day. A thunderstorm with cats and dogs coming down noisily.  I'm waiting for Noah.

I can tell it is time to blog when I get tired of doing whatever else I am doing.  Tonight, it was thinking. I am packing my supplies and that always requires brainpower.  All used up, so you get what's left.

Happily for the artists in the PULP show that opened yesterday, the weather was fine.
Keely McCool's installation made of paper and wire and lit  from the side was the first (and most magical) piece I saw.
Keely works with fiber - leaves, twigs, pine needles, paper, wire,  - you name it -- and her work is wonderfully organic. She considers herself a sculptor. I consider her a magician.
I shot this from underneath but not from the floor, from which I would never have gotten up!
Here is one of her wall pieces.
Pam Cooper uses paper, pins, and other materials to create her wonderful artwork, which has been exhibited extensively.  I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of the piece that was a dress of organdy and paper with image transfer.
It was hard to get a good picture of this airy piece that captivated everybody who walked by.  The small figures are made of twisted/crocheted wire dipped in pulp and the artist, Pamela Guenther-Duffus, doesn't have a website. She needs one, if this is any indication of the rest of her work.
Rocco Scary's work is paper, metal, paint, - in a nutshell, mixed media.  Very urban and very interesting.

There was a lot more work in this wonderful show of 15 artists but Marty was tired, so we left early. 

Rachel Leibman has a wonderful eye and curated one of the best shows I've seen in a long time. The show is up till April 16 and gallery is open Fri,Sat, Sun from 1-4. (35 min by train from NYC and 6 blocks from the station)  Directions here.
Go if you can!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Sounds like fun! I'm in total awe of so much creativity.

Rian said...

How very interesting---no, enthralling. I really need to get out more...

queenopearls said...

Rayna,
Thank you for taking photos of this inventive and engaging exhibit. What a feast for the eyes and right brain!
~Christina

Eva said...

How I love to be taken to exhibitions! The piece by Pamela Guenther-Duffus is really amazing. Sometimes when I am in a high building, I think: "What if the walls and ceilings were all transparent, and the 3-D corpus of the building would show the persons in it on all layers?" And she DID IT.

Packing is one of the things in life that require utmost concentration.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...