Friday, March 05, 2010

NJ Quilt Fest

Made my annual trek down to the NJ Mancuso show today to hang out at the Handloom Batik booth, breeze through the quilts on display, and check out the vendors.  Because I got there in the afternoon, I found a parking spot near the entrance.
Here is the requisite picture of Usha and me - not such a great one of either of us; it was the end of the day and we were tired. But the delicious South Indian dinner we had together after the show revived both of us. Yum. Something we both look forward to every year!

I had fun chatting with one particular customer, who had just told Usha she had bought a bunch of fabrics from her a couple of years ago that she LOVED but didn't know what to do with.  Then she noticed the log cabin quilt I had made with Usha's batik fabrics and and said "I can do that!". She asked me to help her pick additional fabrics and she couldn't wait to get started on her own Log Cabin.

Trends I noticed as I ran through the aisles:
1) tons of people selling longarm machines. Goodness! Everybody is going into the longarm quilting business.

2) Lots of kits and patterns.  I mean, KITS for things you don't need kits for - like this four patch with a one patch.  Apparently a lot of people can't figure out on their own that a four-patch and a one-patch cut the same finished size can be put together.  I call this the 1960 Kitchen Curtain Quilt.  Oh, dear, oh dear. 
As I ran by one booth and saw paints, paintsticks, and Misty Fuse I stopped short and sprinted backwards, thinking "oh!!
somebody is finally catering to art quilters!!" It was Jane Davila with her sidekick Carlos and it was her first time exhibiting there.  Great to see her, too.

I was wandering up the aisle when lo and behold, I ran into Diane Wright!! She and David had driven down from CT, gone to the Morris Museum to see Jack Walsh's exhibt, and come to the quilt show.  Such a treat to see her, and we had a chance to chat.  Why didn't it occur to me to grab my camera? Duh.  

The quilts were - uh - mixed. Some beautiful art quilts and the usual head-scratchers. I will say there are more special exhibits with art quilts, every year. This is good -- although NJ tends to have mostly traditional quilters.  Across the aisle from Usha's booth were several articles of embellished clothing item on display.  I don't normally post pictures of people's work but this is worth a thousand words.
And speaking of words, I saved the best for last.  Mid-afternoon, I went to get a cup of coffee at the food setup and had to take a picture of this sign.
I will leave you to ponder the meaning.
Good night.

20 comments:

Gerrie said...

You can't have sauerkraut dripping on your fabrics when eating your dog - don't you know that? LOL

I love Usha's fabrics that you sent me a few years ago. I have used them up.

Iris said...

You had me laughing out loud! I wish I had been there doing the show with you --- but you made me feel as though I had been. And now I "such ideers" about what to do with my mother's coat. Thank you Rayna!!

Eva said...

All those poor minks died in vain... "Head-scratcher" -- I have to remember this word!

Eva said...

... and: as a crout, I sharply protest: Sauerkraut is compatible with art quilting!

Mindy said...

Hmmm, Quilt Fabrics (with a capital F and a capital Q) plus Sauerkraut equals . . . what?! Does this imply other foods should not be eaten if I have Quilt Fabrics in my Home? If I put the Quilt Fabrics away in a nice tidy place, does that change the rules?

Anonymous said...

Maybe they're afraid of sauerkraut farts getting on the fabrics?

Dawn said...

LOL! Oh you have to be the most fun person to go to a quilt show with! Thanks for taking us along in your blog. I'm still chuckling over the comment about 'sauerkraut farts! :)

Dawn

jane dávila said...

Apparently quite a few people are affronted at having to eat their dogs sans kraut, but the kitchen workers explained that the show organizers requested the kraut ban to protect the quilts in the exhibits from absorbing the odor. Who knew?

shellysquilts said...

Hey Rayna, Sounds like a great day! I enjoyed your commentary on what simple patterns people will buy, I too am amazed. Have a fabulous weekend! (It is glorious here in Texas, 70 and sunny! Yipee!)

Sherryl said...

Your commentary is a hoot. I too would love to attend a show with you.

Elizabeth Rosenberg said...

Too funny, Rayna! Next time, you'll have to bring your own kraut, huh?

I wish I'd known you were going, I would have asked you to give darling Usha a big hug from me! Love that lovely lady!

Approachable Photos said...

LOL I love the last sign, too funny.

Diane Wright said...

I, too, can't believe we yakked away and never thought of taking a pic for our blogs! Dave said he saw the sign about the sauerkraut and had some very dry comment...why sauerkraut? They didn't eliminate chili or mustard...just wondering about odor? whaaa?

I took a class from Gloria Loughman. She is a fine teacher and I picked up several pointers that certainly made it worth the drive from CT. 'Course I ran into you so that made it worth while.

Vivika said...

How fun it is to run into old friends...

Great to know you saw Diane! Loved the comments...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that sign with us...too funny!

patstudio said...

fun quilt....like a walk with friend through quiltland. but that sign. now that is a 'headscratcher' i think. i wonder: can you have kraut at a yarn/knitting show ?

Fibra Artysta said...

As a polish girl who has suffered through many a polish holiday feast with this stuff, I can tell you that sauerkraut can really stink up a joint. I don't know if it will necessarily stink up an entire exhibit hall or actually stink up fabric but I think the stuff is evil.

Anonymous said...

Rayna, I enjoyed your "analyses" of the show, and really liked the mink "smock".

Lynn K. is right--sauerkraut is a public menace, and should only be allowed at outdoor venues!

Linda Laird
QuiltArt list reader

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

Jane Davila had posted on Facebook about the sauerkraut sign, so it was fun to see it here, and read about the reason for the ban! Thanks for sharing, Rayna!

Sue Erdreich said...

I saw that sign also...love it!

I ended up buying a bunch of fabric from Usha for my soon-to-be nephew's quilt. Everything else was kinda boring.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...