Monday, March 01, 2010

full moon

Is this why I'm stil up at 2:15 a.m. and just getting tired now?

Spent most of the day in my sewing room not sewing but printing.  I don't like printing on demand but two venues asked me for samples they can tack up with all my other info for class sign-ups. It just happens that I didn't have anything that would entice anybody to take a class with me, so I carved a few stamps and got busy.  IMO, this would benefit with another layer of something, but the class is about carving stamps so I don't want to muddy the waters.
 While I was at it, I printed a few more things.  Here is one of the perils of buying fabric on the Internet: it often looks different on the website from the reality.  I ordered a bolt of fabric for backs that really looked great on the manufacturer's website. Not my cuppa, so I printed on it.
First layer, screenprint with tape; 2nd layer, glue.  I like it much better but am deciding what to add, if anything.
Then I was going through a pile of fabrics I had washed and was enouraged to see that one of my demo cloths had good possibilities.
I was thinking about cropping it but I might, instead, add something on the lower right. This is the cropped version.
I love my demo pieces because they are so un-self conscious.
And when you work without intent, amazing things happen: the unconscious leads you where you need to go.

Now my conscious leads me up to bed to battle what is left of the full moon.

11 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Gotta be a full moon! I must have gotten up 7 times last night... I'm sure it had nothing to do with fact I took a two and a half hour nap yesterday!!! But my night was nor as productive as yours!!!!
They look real nice!!

Libby Fife said...

I must be a nutjob because I slept through that full moon with no problems:)

I really like that second piece as is-the one with the gold and lavendar looking colors (on my end anyway).

Anonymous said...

Rayna, do you really do all that work on fabric for the BACKS of quilts? I can't bear it!!!! Of course it did start life as a commercial fabric....

Sherryl said...

Ah, full moon... that explains why I was up all night as well.
I like the uncropped piece. I think it has more movement.

shellysquilts said...

Fabulous stuff Rayna!
The moon didn't bother my sleep, but I did encounter some weird folks yesterday. Bye-bye moon!

Gerrie said...

Love that demo cloth. It has great lines going on.nI like the cropped version

Unknown said...

Uncropped for my fav, too, and for the reasons you states, that it looks more un-self conscious. Very neat. :D

Barbara said...

This looks like a lot of fun! Reminds me of how much I loved to fingerpaint as a kid. I want to go to class for the grown-up version.

Eva said...

Isn't it such a privilege to be able and create one's own things, not to take things as given, but put your own stamp on it? The first one is so happy and fun, and I also like the blue and red one, and I even liked the proportions before cropping, but after that, the piece lookd more concentrated and powerful.

Debra Dixon said...

love that demo cloth!

Unknown said...

lovely! You pulled it off, I knew you would. I've got to make some stamps. The designs you made are
fabulous. Very inspiring.
Ah, the full moon syndrome strikes again! Hate to admite it but I needed a sleep aid last night, I couldn't deal with two nights in a row.

soup weather in June and a little more

DISCLAIMER: Blogger is giving me grief tonight, which you will see by the varying sizes of the type. Ye p, soup weather and it's ...